Saturday, March 10, 2018

Equity


Four years ago I was homeless: living out of a car. Not even my car. Not even one car. I lived out of any car or house or hotel I could weasel my way into, and I sold drugs to feed my habit while I awaited my sentencing that would eventually lead me through prison and treatment where I made the choices that lead me to today.

Four years ago I could not comprehend the thought of me owning a home, or even having the wherewithal to start even thinking about the process of buying a home. Today I took the first big leap toward the biggest of investments in Maple Lake at Wright County Community Action where I sat through eight hours of information and lectures.
 

It was very personal, and I felt like they treated me as if I were the only person in the room. In fact, I was the only person that showed up on the student side of things. As the day progressed, a mortgage expert, a real-estate agent, an, uh…. title-insurance-closer-deed-guy thing, and a homebuyer advisor, took turns tailoring their information and advice to my situation. I was honest in what I was interested in and gave them some insight into my past and my credit and it went back and forth and it all moved unbelievably fast and I felt incredibly relieved and inspired when I left. I thought this class would fill me with fear and anxiety, but I left with confidence that I can be in my own home in under a year. Well, I have to be or this certificate expires and I have to do the class again to qualify for certain loans and down-payment assistance.

 


This array of paperwork has every bit of material that we covered and more. If you think it looks like a lot, it is. It’s a lot to wrap my head around, and it seems like a lot of people want my money, but it also appears that there may be some free money around for me to apply for. The First speaker said that somewhere in the neighborhood of seventy people are involved in the home-buying process—not all of them visible—and they all get a little cut. Shit.

As always, I want this to reach the struggling addict or alcoholic who doesn’t think there’s a way out or hope for the future. I’m doing all of this less than three years out of prison. When I got out I started working at a laminating factory for $10 per-hour, and I lived with my mom. I kept my head down and I ran hard, and I never stopped. I kept going to meetings, kept meeting with my sponsor, and traded-up my job twice for something I loved and I just kept moving forward. It was a lot of hard work, but none of it was as tough as living out of cars and hotels, giving away my dignity and my pride.

I’m sick of paying rent. I want something I can call my own. Well, our own. Although Amanda wasn’t with me today at the workshop, she will be a part of everything else moving forward--I hope. We will be meeting soon with a mortgage broker who will assess our finances and combined income and credit to pre-qualify us for an amount we can work with to start searching for our home.

For now, as we discussed for the first hour of the class, I need to draw up a savings and budget plan and stick to it. We need to do that. We are not in that great of shape financially, but they will still lend me hundreds of thousands of dollars and that’s kind of scary. I am capable of turning that $200k into $43 real quick-like with some old habits. Today is the first day of the rest of my life in which I am more responsible economically (said the guy with a $2,500 tattoo commitment.) But I have it in me to set and follow plans and goals, and as long as Amanda is on board, we will do well. I know this.

 

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...