Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Credit and Debits


My last post informed you on the information I received and cultured at the First Time Homebuyer’s workshop I attended over the weekend. This post is dedicated to what I have done over the three days since I published that post.


Amanda and I had a chance to sit down on Sunday night and go over some of the big stuff I took away from the meeting. A good starting point is looking at, and fixing up, our credit. Credit is literally a key to all of the things you want in life, and it’s important to keep it groomed or it can have an effect on life as you go. It is also important to look at spending and income or, a budget. These are the things we discussed.

We sat at the kitchen table, each with our own piece of paper. We wrote down our average net income, and then added it together. We then wrote down all of our fixed expenses like rent, car payments, and utilities, etc. And then we figured in our flexible payments like groceries, credit card bills, and gas. We added them all up and subtracted that number from our net income which left us with what we have left to buy things we want, or save. The number was small, and it shrunk every time we thought of some little expense like garbage which is billed every three months. And it got smaller and smaller. We were essentially not living within our means, and that is what we talked about.

We agreed on a budget which is also flexible. And we talked about what we could do with our credit. Her ex left her credit in shambles and to say the least it needs work. My credit score is at 720, and I just now (like this minute) found out I could qualify for a $160,000 loan based on my credit alone. But this isn’t an “I” adventure, this is us, and I don’t think I’m going to rush into anything quite yet.

Yesterday I gathered all of the necessary documents and sent them to the mortgage guy I met at the workshop, and he started crunching the numbers which resulted in the information I received in the paragraph above.

And yesterday, we walked and drove around to look at some houses in the area after we checked them out online. The two that we really loved had been sold with no reference to that on the website. But we know we are going to fall in love with many houses before we find our home, and there will be much consideration and thought before this becomes final. So much has happened over the past four days, I can’t imagine what this next year has in store for me.

 

Here’s one of the greatest things I gleaned from the seminar: it’s a lot easier to save money if you treat savings as a bill—it has to get paid. This way it’s in the budget, and you can forget about it. It’s gone, until it’s needed.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...