Monday, March 5, 2018

Snow Day


I awoke to howling winds and a persistent tapping on the windows. There’s less noise in a winter storm than in any other season because there is no resistance from the tree leaves, but the frozen rain (not snow) was making an effort to outdo its summer counterpart with a nearly horizontal attack on the windows. I’m a light sleeper, and I could see just the break of day through the curtains and I knew it must be around 6:30am, when the light usually peeks around the horizon. It was time to get up.

6:30 is a late wake up for me, but I knew I had things to do this morning because the kids would not be going to daycare or school today: it is a snow day! So, I went to the gym.

While I was in the middle of my new set of interval training exercises, I had the thought that it was stupid that I had to pay rent and shovel and snow blow the driveway. I have never been a renter and been responsible for such things. I then thought of the future, and the day I finally get to buy a house, which is possibly not that far away.

This coming Saturday I am attending a first-time homebuyers class put on by Wright County Community Action. It’s an eight-hour course in which all of my questions about buying a home will be answered, and all of my fears about buying a home will be confirmed. It was only $30 to register for the class, and although it will take up most of my day off, I am excited to tackle this first vital step of the home-buying process. I will keep you all posted.

 

Right now I am watching Life with Pets. It’s a children’s cartoon movie and it’s the same movie we watched last night. This is a common theme in the life of children. I can’t blame them, I could watch Office Space or Burn After Reading every day if I had the time, but these girls take things to the extreme and will possibly watch this very movie again on this very day, as will I because I have little choice; I’m snowed in.

This is a chance for me to bond with the girls. In fact, I’m going to get off the computer now so I can be present in their lives. To be honest, I can’t think of much else to write on at the moment, so this is it.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...