Monday, March 26, 2018

House(s)


Anybody who owns a home has had to buy a house for the first time. If you are in that category of people, you can probably identify with this post.

When I attended the first-time homebuyer’s workshop a few weeks ago, I sat through eight hours of lectures and PowerPoints designed—in my mind—to frighten me into being careful during the whole process. I had the idea when I left that I would be looking at hundreds of houses and when we found the one we wanted, we would just buy it. Well, it’s just not that simple: other people want houses, too. 

After working with a mortgage broker and taking a look at our finances and credit, we hooked up with a real estate agent we were referred to by the mortgage broker I met at the workshop. I like him (the mortgage guy). I clicked with him in the class so I called him up afterwards to get things rolling. He recommended a gentleman with a small business to show us some homes in the Wright-Carver-McLeod counties area. (This is the area we consider "in our range" for time to work, USDA-RD loan approval, and travel time to our respective families.)
 
One week in and we have looked at three houses. Each house was unique in their condition, the first house in that the people were home when we got there. They were just as surprised as us, and they wrapped up their baby in a blanket and left out the side door with another kid into a bus that was parked on the side of their property. Not any part of that sentence was a joke: that really happened.

The first thing we noticed on the inside was dishes piled up in the sink, and an odor of urine. We noticed the large quantity of windows, which were all tightly covered in blankets or drapes, or other fabric shells. There were cobwebs in the corners, and there was dust on everything. The agent told us to overlook that stuff, and look at it for what it could be. The outside was a main street out front and a berm out back protecting the house from the mighty Crow River. We traipsed up the frozen berm and the view was quite nice. The property was located at the bend in the river on which I imagined a dock and a small canoe for fishing with the girls. The image went away when he explained that flood insurance would be rated at the level of the house compared to the river, not that there was protection. I threw up in my mouth when he mentioned how much that could add to the mortgage.

Back inside we went into the basement where there was a makeshift master bedroom with what was clearly some form of drug paraphernalia sitting openly on the night stand. I had been in many homes like that over my years, and it was never easy knowing that children lived in them. The next day, Amanda mentioned that none of the beds for the kids had blankets on them; perhaps they were being used to cover the windows.

The second house is the first and only of the first three houses that we fell in love with. I toured it first, and Amanda and I went back together the next day to give it a more thorough look. It had so much of what we were looking for, including a bathroom that I could call my own. It sits on a corner lot of the small town of Silver Lake, MN. Here is the Wikipedia page on the town if you want to take a look.

The third house was in Glencoe and we had very little interest in it. It was cute, but there wasn’t enough room, so I won’t even put up a link.

We plan on looking around at more homes, but we like house #2 so much that we decided to make a move on it and put in an offer. In my mind that was the end of it, and I already owned the house. The real estate agent quickly informed me that there was already an offer for the house but the sellers had not accepted it. So, I offered the list price to see what would happen. This morning I got a message telling me there were multiple offers and that there was a deadline for the best and highest offers this coming Thursday. I added 5k on top of the list price to see if they would take the bait, and I will find out on Thursday.

For now, we have to be patient and keep looking for houses. If we don’t get this one, there will be others we will love, and there is plenty of time to get it right. I love this house enough to hope that this is it. It is out of my hands now, and all I can do is wait.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...