Thursday, September 14, 2017

Officer Down


I missed my exit. I wasn’t paying attention because I was on the phone. I always use my earpiece when I drive because I think it’s safer, but if I missed my exit to work, there must be some side effects. I knew there was another exit about a mile up the road on MN highway 12, so I would just loop around to get off at my exit which only lets onto highway 15 from the westbound side.

Now driving in the eastbound lanes, I noticed some debris on the side of the road, but I didn’t think much of it. I continued my conversation on the phone and found another exit that would allow me to finally get to work, still on time. I have never been late (in sobriety), and this (last) Friday would be no exception.

Now travelling in the westbound lanes again, I saw up ahead in the lanes I had just been travelling that there appeared to have been an accident, and the cops had already arrived on the scene. I thought to myself that it all must have happened very quickly and that the officer must have been behind the vehicle and saw it all happen, whatever it was.

I got closer and saw what looked like a van at an odd angle up on the grass and it had a huge spider web indent on the passenger side window. I thought that probably the van hit something and the passenger wasn’t wearing a seatbelt. I said a silent prayer for whoever might be injured.

I made my exit this time. As I wound my way through the million dollar houses that line the shores of Lake Minnetonka I had to pull over several times for emergency vehicles going the opposite direction at an alarming speed. I have never seen any vehicle travelling as fast as they were, and I knew they were probably doing to the accident I had just seen, but I was still surprised at the sense of urgency they portrayed. I would guess that even on those windy roads, they were going well over 120 on the straight-aways. Huh.

When I got to work, not five minutes in, I found out that an officer was involved in some sort of a crash on Highway 12, very close by. I stated that I had just seen it, but I didn’t really know what was going on. It looked like the officer was just parked on the side of the road, but I wasn’t paying much attention to it all as I needed to make my exit.

And a few hours later the news was everywhere. An officer had been struck and killed on the side of the road while clearing some debris. And I started wondering. I wondered if any part of my chain of events could possibly have had an effect on the outcome because I was so close to it all. Was the officer behind me in the distance? Probably, yes. Could I have known what was about to transpire behind me? Well, no. And I didn’t know what was going on from the other side of the road either, and if I had stopped to help, it wouldn’t have mattered anyhow. But I still wonder.

It also takes me back to the days where I would frequently pass out behind the wheel due to sleep deprivation. Four times, in four different cars I woke up backwards on a highway or speeding off into a ditch. Four times I was lucky to escape serious injury myself, and four times I cannot believe my actions did not affect anybody else with injury or death.

The driver of the car is said to have been texting and high on cocaine. That was true of me for years while I was behind the wheel, also with no license. I was no better than her, and I am so grateful that I am not in her shoes, and although she is pretty well fucked from a legal standpoint, I hope she finds the help she needs while she is away, and I hope the family of the victim can forgive her eventually, as hard as it may be.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...