Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Almost Two Years


It was 42 degrees when I woke up this morning. I should clarify that it was 70 in my house, but much cooler outside. Fall is my favorite season, and I am eager to feel the weather, see the colors, and taste the hard work of the summer sun in the vegetables and fruits that come around this time of year.

I worked hard this summer, and Labor Day weekend was the official end of the busy season, although golfers will assuredly golf until the snow flies, and people do eat without their children, so we will still have work throughout the fall and winter months.

Recently, I started cross-training on the garde manger station. I have been working sauté for the past few months and I love it, but it is good to know all of the stations in a restaurant so you are more useful, and it will look good on a resume someday.  I had a combined eight hours on the station before I was given the spot to work on the Sunday before Labor Day, and I wasn’t a fan. Garde mange (French for “keeper of the food”) consists of salads, sandwiches, and desserts. Few of them are easy to assemble, and most of them have a complex assortment of ingredients that seem to have only one particular function, so the station has 1,000 ingredients for 20 items. Now, that is an exaggeration, but when it gets busy it would seem that way. I don’t really like that station, but it sort of grew on me the other day, so I will go back and forth from sauté to garmo over the winter months.


Now, by contrast the first part of this post was probably boring compared to the previous four posts about my love life. I received a lot of (mostly positive) feedback regarding those posts, and I have plenty more to write about. She (yes, the She from those posts) has started writing her own series of posts entitled cleverly “He” that I may share with you someday.  


I’ve been seriously considering starting an anonymous blog; A new blog with an entirely different concept through which anybody can share their dirtiest, most honest and revealing stories. I have an idea for the first post which would shock most people, and nobody I know—past or present—has ever heard the story. Although my life is an open book, there are just certain parts of my past that are better left untouched. They don’t harm me, and there is no resentment held, and no amend necessary associated with these stories, they are just things that are too dirty to share on a blog associated with a message of recovery from addiction and criminality. So, stay tuned on that, as I may share a link someday.

It’s a little early, but I thought I would mention that in two days, I will have been free from prison for two years. It has literally flown by. I have changed from the guy wearing maternity pants, standing confused and afraid in the aisles of a Walmart then heading to his mother’s house to live, to a confident, strong man living on his own again, ready to face life as it comes, and willing to do whatever it takes to stay sober and carry the message of sobriety to those who still suffer. It’s been a hell of a ride, and I regret nothing. I am grateful for every day I have had, and I am hopeful for my future. I know that if I keep working on myself, I will be useful to others.

For the past year or so I have been able to say something that I hadn’t for over 30 years, I love myself. I love who I am and what I have become because of everything I have ever done.  

Thanks for reading.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...