Friday, December 9, 2016

These Three Things


Here are a few updates for you.

 

Yesterday, I cornered one of the bosses at work and told him it had been a few weeks since we discussed my promotion, and I thought it was time for action. He agreed, but he admitted that there are still some things that need to be discussed between the managers before any moves are made. I told him that was fine, but that I thought it was fair to ask for a raise while I am waiting for that to happen, and he agreed to that as well. He told me that he would talk to his boss, and include me in a conversation with all of the chefs by the time my workweek is over on Tuesday. So, I guess sometimes you just have to be persistent.

Speaking of importunity, my GoFundMe campaign has been at a standstill for a while, and we’re getting down to the last few days—six to be exact—until I need to withdraw, and use the money I’ve raised for its intended purpose. If you’re interested, I have picked out the camera I want, which will cost me about double what I have raised. It’s a Sony a6000 series , 24 megapixel, mirrorless beauty. Here’s the deal, if I don’t raise the $650 needed to purchase it, I’m still going to do it because it’s something I want, and although I do have the money for it, collectively you have more, and I want it. Maybe that sounds greedy, and it is, but like they say, “’Tis the season.” Right?

Maybe that last line didn’t make any sense because it doesn’t really apply to that situation, but it was fun for me to write.

It’s been nearly two weeks since I sent The Letter to my brother containing a check for the amount I owed him, along with a couple pages of apologetic prose that hopefully made it to its destination proper. No, I have not heard anything from him, nor has the check been cashed. Really, it’s okay. It hasn’t even been that long, and even if I never hear from him, I’ve done all there is to do, and I’ve let go.

In other news, a very close friend of mine relapsed recently. Reversion is a significant part of this recovery thing, in fact, it happens more often than it doesn’t, but when it happens to somebody you care about, it tends to tug at the proverbial heartstrings a little. Last night I had a painful conversation with that person, with a mutual friend of ours, and we all ended up taking a ride to detox. Having the courage to put yourself in that place is a good sign, and obviously I wish nothing but the best for him, but it is scary to see somebody in a condition in which you have never seen them.

After the trip to detox we went back to their house and did a little cleanup. After being told where the offending beverages were I went into their room and took everything downstairs and began to dump it all out. This was the first time in years I have been in possession of alcohol, and even though I didn’t suffer any using thoughts while I dumped out the six-pack and half of a bottle of vodka, I did have the thought that that’s how I would have done it. A real alcoholic needs to get drunk quickly, and for me it was always both beer and liquor. Beer alone could take all day. Imagine breaking your arm then following the dosing instructions for Advil; it’s just not going to do the trick. I know a few people will text or message me asking who it is that I’m referring to, but please don’t. We don’t need this circulating until this person is ready to tell you themselves. So, that’s what I’ve got for today.
 
Someday soon, these pictures will have the greatest clarity ever seen. it's all in your hands.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...