Saturday, December 24, 2016

Food


How can a vacation be so much different than life at home? It’s the little things, the big things, and everything in between. This post is dedicated to food; oh great sustainer of life.

Shortly after our arrival, we pulled up to my aunt and uncle's house and I was asked if I wanted a mandarin orange. We were standing outside, so I was a little confused until my uncle pointed behind me to a small tree on the boulevard that had a few perfect examples of the sweet citrus fruit enticingly dangling from the wispy branches. I obliged, and in under a minute I had peeled and eaten the freshest fruit I had had up to this point in my life. I had the thought that I could actually taste the sun. That was just the beginning.
This short, stocky, bearer of fruit was my first glimpse into the freshness of coastal foods.
Last night as I mentioned in my last post, I made bruschetta and roasted chicken for dinner. Well, I decided to make breakfast as well, so my aunt Maggie and I walked across the street this morning to Sprouts, which reminds me of Trader Joe’s back home. We got all of the fixings for what I call Vegas French toast. I spread cream cheese and jelly on slices of sourdough bread and sandwich them together before dipping them in the egg batter, then I roll that around in crushed Frosted Flakes before frying them in butter. Um, I hate tooting my own horn, but, beep-beep, it was pretty damn good.

I’ll skip forward to lunch, because this is about food. I will backtrack when I get home, and share with you the great moments of this vacation, and probably more about food. We went to Ironside Oyster and Seafood where I ordered a sampler of fresh oysters from six different spots along the coast. They were all delicious and different in their own ways, and they were sided with a Champagne-shallot reduction, and a horseradish sauce that could have started a fire without incitement, and without the need for an accelerant.  The chef began to shuck them as I made a trip to the coolest bathroom I’ve seen in years, maybe ever. When I came back they were waiting for me and the feast began. One-by-one I slurped down the ugly, salty, briny morsels and I was in heaven. I honestly must say that I nearly teared up as my senses were encumbered with true flawlessness on every level.   
The view from our seats.
For some reason I will never truly understand, maybe because he could tell I was a foodie, the chef walked across the entirety of the restaurant with a plate that I had a sneaking suspicion was headed for us. There was no reason to think that, but I guessed correctly. He didn’t even offer an explanation, he merely told us what was on the plate, and set it down in front of me to eat. I was gasping. What lay before me was a true work of art, and I knew something about it would be special.

I took one bite, and in one second I said out loud, “This is the best octopus I have ever had.” And I really meant it. If you know me, and know what I like, you know that I love octopi—as a food—and nothing I have ever had held any weight to this masterpiece which was surrounded by chorizo sausage, and chipotle aioli. Never had I bitten such tender, flavorful tentacle. I had grasped total nirvana in that restaurant, and I believe it may take years to have an encounter like that again, and I also believe that it may be when I go back there next time I’m in California that I achieve it again.
Hannah's BF Matt, tending to the veggie side of the operation.
Here's my work. That is an 18" Weber, if you're trying to judge the size of those steaks.

And just a few short hours later it was time to fire up the grills and begin making dinner. I say grills because we as a group have two vegetarians, and respectfully I grill their food separately. Anyhow, we had made trips to a butcher for tri-tip and chicken wings, and the farmers market for fresh veggies, so some of us prepped the vegetables while the others of us set the table, manned the grills, and made various side dishes. We were busy, and in the end we all sat down for a giant meal and great conversation that I will never forget. Again I was elated; so happy to be surrounded by the things I love most, food and family. It’s Christmas Eve, and it’s time for bed, so, Merry Christmas and to all, a good night.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...