Saturday, December 24, 2016

San Diego


The smell is the first thing I noticed. The minute I stepped off of the cramped DC-9, I could feel the warmth and humidity in my lungs. It was a warm reprieve from the cold, bitter winds of the north, and a much deserved vacation that awaited me beyond the Delta terminal and baggage claim of the San Diego airport. I felt elation, excitement, exhaustion, and trepidation, but the only thing I wanted to feel was the warm California sun on my pale skin.

I wanted to write a paragraph that sounded really “deep,” because I’ve been doing that lately, but I took a break after writing the first two sentences to make dinner for my family and I kind of forgot where I wanted to go with it. Right now I’m in the living room, sitting around the fire with my aunt, uncle Tex, two cousins, and a non-member of the family (my cousin’s bf), having just eaten a large plate of homemade bruschetta, and waiting for the main course—roasted chicken and yams—to be done.

So far today we’ve gone out for lunch at a beautiful restaurant with a deck that had a striking view of the ocean between two seaside motels. There was no sun today, and the wind had a bit of a bite to it, but compared to home, it was balmy and moist. After eating we strolled along the Pacific Beach walkway and pier during which I saw everything you see below. I didn’t post every picture I took because there are things you can look up and see on the internet, like the ocean, and people. That, said, there will probably be at least one picture of me and the ocean, I haven’t decided yet. And, although you won’t understand the time difference here, I’m going to put the computer down for a while and pay attention to this conversation, and enjoy an evening in with my fam.




It’s morning, and adjusting for the time zone, I’m up pretty late. But here it’s just after seven, and I’m all alone in the living room. Not true, their dog, Rocky is with me. He’s about the same age as Willie.

Last night I slept like a rock, except for a few times I woke up to the gentle sound of rain dancing on the roof. When I stepped out into the night air at some unknown time in the middle of the night to use the bathroom next door, I realized that there was not any rain at all; it was just the fingers of the palm fronds tapping their sleepy melody for me so I could rest well.

I should note that I’m sleeping in my aunt’s office which has been set up as a temporary bedroom for me. It is detached from the main house, but connected by a garage, and accessible by way of the back yard by going around the pool. There is also what I think is called a pool house that serves as my bathroom.


So, that said, here are some pictures that I’ve taken thus far. There will be much more to come, but I think I’ll probably wait until I get back to write it all out. So, Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, Happy Kwanza, and everything else that we as humans celebrate this time of year; May you be safe, happy, and loved.
 This here's a mobile barber, on the beach. A novel idea, I thought.
Just a cool shot of some birds hanging out.

I like this because of the palm tree in the background. It's a lot more Christmassy in California than I thought it might be.


 My cousin Hannah, daughter of Tex, riding a pelican.
Clearly, I ate the mussels.

This is the boardwalk of the Crystal pier at Pacific Beach. These little cabins can be rented out, and famous names such as Jon Belushi and Robin Williams have sewn their wild oats here (done a bunch of drugs discreetly).

There are a lot more pictures, and a lot more adventure for me to write about. Stay tuned.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...