Friday, January 11, 2019

$hort


I haven’t written for a while. I haven’t written any non-fiction for even longer. I tried getting into a series of interconnected fictional posts, but life itself is probably more interesting and I don’t want to spend any more time writing about things that didn’t happen. While during most of my life I was probably better at telling the lie than the truth, I want to keep writing about my life as it is, and perhaps write more for fun on a private basis and publish it as another book someday.

Anywho, my last post took you (the reader) back through the year 2018. I wrote about my financial insecurity as it relates to new home ownership, and that is where I will start here.

When I first bought this home, I was under the impression that there would be some tax benefits and maybe for the first time in decades, I might receive an actual refund. Well, that will not be the case. In fact, it looks as if I’m going to owe a significant amount in Federal taxes (although I don’t feel as if I should have to pay a government that isn’t functioning currently) and a small amount in state. I don’t get it. I claimed 1 on my W4, which is one less exemption that the sheet suggests, and I’m still in the hole by about $700. My employer assured me that they are taking the proper amount. Maybe it has something to do with the new tax reform, and since I’m not rich, I owe more. I don’t know. I just can’t seem to catch a break as a single (for tax purposes) white male in this country.

I’m sure I will find the money over whatever period of time they allow me to pay off my debt, but instead of maybe getting ahead a little, now I will be behind all year again. Not everything is terrible, not even a financial burden is terrible. I won’t lose the house, I can still pay all of my bills, I just can’t pay as much extra on them.

***

I have found that the more English language a three-year-old understands and relates, the more frustrating life becomes. The littlest of the two girls is going through a phase in which the only solution for all situations seems to be crying and saying “No!” Of course, I exaggerate, and most often she is adorable and really funny, but there are moments where I wonder what I’m supposed to do to corral her emotions, or if even I’m supposed to do that. She can quickly go from a screaming mess to a laughing cuddle monster, especially when a snack is involved. I’m sure this is normal for children, and I’m wondering if I can rip-off some of her behaviors to get more of what I want at my job or in my relationship… I will try this.

***

I’ve been putting in applications at a few places and entities over the past few weeks in hopes of securing part-time work during the slow season at my present job. I actually applied with the U.S.P.S. because they have an opening in an office closer by and I made it through the first few screenings and tests. They actually will hire felons, they (me) will just be scrutinized more, and have to be completely honest throughout the application process. I have a proctored exam coming up this Monday in St. Cloud, and I’m wondering when it will finally come up.

I also applied for a job with 3M in Hutchinson. Well, I applied with whoever runs the kitchen within the plant. It would be a M-F 6-2 shift, and the benefits would start right away.

Now, the two jobs I just described are full time, which would remove me from my current employ, but the likelihood of me landing one of them is small, nonetheless I like to put out the feelers. I did apply to numerous other positions, and have fielded a few calls but nothing that would help much with the bills. I need something; my vacation (I love that I have to use vacation to get 40 hours at my job) will only last for six weeks and then I’m down to however many hours I get over my four-day workweek.

Uber and Lyft won’t hire felons, and I don’t think I would be a good stripper or prostitute, and I think our book has run its course, so I can’t depend on those royalties for early retirement.

That’s enough about money. I’ve vented, now I’ll solve the problem. It’s what I do.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...