Sunday, January 20, 2019

Back to Treatment for me 2


When I am given an opportunity to bring the message of recovery into a treatment center, I do it. I do it because I am selfish in a way, and I’m looking for the opportunity to remember where I used to be.

Tonight I travelled to a small rural Minnesota town to a residential treatment facility for juvenile boys, and there were nine little fucks just like me 25 years ago sitting in a circle. We actually made the circle when we (another gentleman in recovery from a meeting I attend) arrived ahead of the crowd. We were there to bring the message of A.A. into a place where possibly many of the attendees were hearing their first versions of recovery, much like I did when I was 18 and in treatment for my first time.

The format to the meeting was already printed out for us. They hold a meeting every Saturday night, and groups from the district send representatives once a month from their various groups to host the assembly. All we had to do was read the format, read eight pages of the Big Book, and then go around and share what we learned from the reading and then end the meeting on time. Here’s what happened.

We read pages 80-88 of the book Alcoholics Anonymous. In these eight pages, a lot happens. Some of the most important work, some of the most read passages, and my very favorite sentence is contained within these few pages. It starts with the ending of the 9th step; making amends. It briefly discusses step 10-taking a continuous inventory, and describes the 11th step which asks us to meditate and pray. This is heavy shit.

The five times I was in treatment—each time for several months with the exception of my first which I will explain later—we were given work that would lead us up to the fifth step: Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs. We would write down everything bad we ever did, and talk about it with a priest, or an um… I can’t think of the term, but when I was young, I didn’t really understand the concept so I would make stuff up to make myself sound really cool in my eyes.  Nobody ever really talked about going any farther until I got a sponsor which I would never do and I would inevitably fail and go back out to gather more evidence on addiction and alcoholism.

So here we are with a chance to talk about what I would consider two of the three most critical steps. And there are nine little versions of young me sitting around with little to no interest, playing with their hoodie strings and looking at the floor. It was exactly what I was doing back in the day: making sure everybody in the room knew that I had absolutely no interest in what this old bearded man (who drove a minivan in) had to say about his “God program.”

We read the eight pages in a circle, some people passing, some guys reading a few paragraphs, and we got to the end. It was time to share. Two kids spoke briefly on what they gleaned, and I felt inspired that we would hear from the other seven. It was my partners turn in order so he talked beautifully on how the steps work in his life, and then he passed after a few minutes. The next six boys all passed without sharing, very much like I would have, and then it was my turn.

What I wanted to scream was, “Hey you little fucks! One of you is going to be dead in a year if you don’t listen tonight! None of you are probably going to stay sober because you’re 15 and don’t know what hell looks like yet! You have a chance to do something with your lives; you can be something, you can do anything!” But I didn’t, because I wouldn’t have listened to that. I would have smirked, leaned farther back in my chair than the guy next to me so I would be cooler, then taken a sip of my Mountain Dew, bro.

What I did tell them was that I had been around the block. I said that my favorite sentence in the book is “Love and tolerance of others is our code.” I like that because it’s the opposite of my old self. My old code was “Fuck everybody.” And after a lifetime of fucking everything up, losing everything—three times, being a homeless meth addict five years ago, and abandoning all hope of ever being a husband, a father, and a productive member of society, I found a way out. I found a way not just to survive, but to live. It wasn’t always easy, but it was always better than the way it was.

I don’t know if they listened, or what they heard. I don’t know if any of them will remember anything we said tonight. But I know that they know that there are people out there willing to help. We may be the only copy of the Big Book that these kids ever see, and we relayed a message of hope. And if even one of those kids is an actual addict, someday he may remember in a moment of despair that we are there for him, and he doesn’t need to hurt anymore. He can be happy, joyous, and free. Just like me.

The meeting wrapped up and they went back to their rooms, and we drove back to our homes. I had a 45-minute drive to ponder what I had said there, and I knew that I couldn’t have done anything differently. I had many great reminders of what I was like as a kid. I’m sorry, Mom.



My first time in treatment was back in the 1900’s. I was 18 years old and court ordered on a felony charge. I lasted five days and I’m sure they were happy to get rid of me and my attitude. I don’t remember much from my time there except people with mullets trying to get me to believe in God. I didn’t get anything out of it because I didn’t want to. For me it took years of pain to finally need to change everything about my life. It helped that I was locked in a cage for the first 15 months of this recovery, but the following years working the steps with a sponsor is what keeps me sane now. I have everything I ever wanted out of life now, and I must continue to everything I can to share this message with those who will need it someday.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...