Friday, July 8, 2016

The Race Card

This is a great clip. Watch it before you continue reading.


I wish I knew enough about current events to have been able to have said that myself. The truth is, I really don’t like watching the news because of days like today. After work I went to the gym and ran on the treadmill for half an hour and watched all six televisions reporting their angles on all of the shootings that have occurred over the past few days.

What can I say? It’s sickening. One of the reports was that of a woman who had been pulled over recently by the same officer who shot Philando Castile, and had a gun drawn on her after he told her to remove a small bag of marijuana from her purse. I’ve seen the Lavish Reynolds video a couple times now and I wish she had started recording sooner, because it is this very video that will probably lead to the officer’s eventual exoneration. But that is not what this post is about.

I found this comment as I scrolled down after watching the Castile video. It's proof of ignorance and racism in our country.

As a child growing up in the then small town of New Brighton, I had no clue that people could be hated based on their color. My day care provider whose house I stayed at half of the time for years was a mixed race house.  These people became as close to me as family, and I grew up with their children. To this day, it is because of Mary and Dwayne that I still cringe every time the N word is used by bigots at work, and in daily life. Prison was tough for a lot of reasons, I mean, the worst of every race of people are in there, and it is incredibly segregated. Many people told me that prison would make me a racist, but it did not. If anything I lost even more respect for white people. Not all of them of course, I don't want to generalize.

Today I overheard the boss (an avid trump supporter) picking apart the video with another employee who frequently uses racial epithets during routine conversation. He's learned quickly that I don't like to participate in those conversations, but it's hard to avoid a coworker all day. He and the boss claimed that that N-word (Castille) probably wasn't doing what the cop told him to do, that's why they all get shot. He then went on to explain why he would never be shot by a cop, and they both agreed with eachother that they were better than everybody. I'm not in a position where I can simply walk out of a job, that's grounds for a violation of the terms of my parole, but i really don't like that type of work environment. Who am I supposed to tell about my discontent of the subject matter in regards to the boss' conversation? All I can do is pray for them. 

Now, about this shooting in Dallas. The T.V. told me that the suspect was on a mission to kill white people. Shit. Well he did, and they all happened to be police officers. The reporters kept saying the shootings were well planned and carried out by a military veteran. Well, I guess if you kill enough of a certain type of citizen, that same certain type of citizen starts to fight back. I'm referring to a black male of course, there's no reason to hide it. I don't know what to think about this one. Actually, I do, I just don't want to say it because it might be a little immoral. But if you keep killing people without provocation and just cause, people will fight back with equal force. 

That's all my brain can put together today. I have not stopped writing my fictional story, in fact I already have some written, I'm just waiting for something that I think will enhance the whole experience for you people. You'll see soon enough.


And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...