Monday, July 4, 2016

Quandary 5

This is the fifth segment of a fictional short story that starts here.



As a child I would often fall asleep on car rides. I grew well out of that phase by the time I had become a drug dealer, with the exception of a few incidents that occurred as a result of a lack of sleep. There was still something comforting about the open road. There was a rhythm to it that I could get locked into for hours, something soothing that perhaps reminded me of my virtues long since lost. I would drive with no radio, no passenger, and sometimes with no specific destination in mind. Being alone out on the road was calming for me. But not this time.

Once again I found myself locked in a trunk. My head was pounding and I could feel a fresh lump growing on my right temple, accompanied by that old familiar sting of a knockout punch. I knew I would be getting looks from people for a few days. I wasn’t tied up this time but it didn’t really matter, I had no time or reason to try to escape. I thought about what lay ahead for me and the fact that within two weeks there was a good chance that I would be dead.

I had only just formally met King, but my guy whose name I will never mention for reasons I will discuss later had always been good to me. I couldn’t see myself taking from them what they had earned in an illegal, yet authentic fashion. As far as the drug world goes, there aren’t many good people at any level. “The game” as we called it was filled with deception, paranoia, treachery, betrayal, and there were rats at every turn. I considered myself to be one of the good few, and I held my guy and King in the same regard. It was at that moment that I decided that I was going to hatch a little plan of my own. They were giving me time to go about my regular business, and that would be plenty to come up with something. For now, I would keep my eyes and mouth shut and try not to throw up on myself in the trunk of the car.

In just a couple minutes, the car slowed and made a few turns and eventually stopped. I heard the doors open and shut, and I heard the trunk pop. It was completely black outside, I guessed we were in the same alleyway I had been taken from. Dumpy said, “Ok this is your time to shine!” Again, he offered me no help getting out of the tight space, but at least there wasn’t a gun pointed at me. I crawled out and wanted to sprawl out on the concrete but stood instead. “Are we back in the alley?” I asked. Goggles replied, “Yep! This is right where I knocked you down the first time!” Fuck you. Their faces were dimly lit by the indirect light from the trunk. An unnerving glow was cast across one side of their faces, I envisioned them burning alive but they wouldn’t stop smiling even in my fantasy. One of them handed me my belongings and an additional cell phone and Driver said, “We’ll be in touch.” And just like that, they got in the car and slowly pulled away, making sure not to turn on any lights until they were far enough away so I couldn’t read the license plate. I stood there in quiet reflection for a moment, gathered my bearings and wandered down the alley toward my car. It had been a long night and I wanted to curl up in a bed somewhere for a few days but I knew I had a lot to plan and nowhere to call my own.

The only thing I could think of was getting a cheap motel room where I could get high and make some money. Selling out of a motel was dangerous business, but I didn’t care. At this point being arrested would be welcomed, and at the very least, I would have a place to sleep for a while.

I found my car and put my supply in the trunk. I stood over the empty cavity for a moment and wondered what it would be like to be stuck in there. My trunk could hold a few bags of groceries and the special spare tire that was half used and freely moving around when I drove. Everything was covered in dust and various fluids that had leaked out of partial bottles that would never be used. I really wanted to fit all three of my new enemies in there. I had that thought that maybe with the aid of a chainsaw that would be possible.

I closed the trunk and cleared my mind and got in the driver seat and started the engine. I thought about going back to my friend’s house to tell him what had happened, but I wanted more information before I did. So I signaled and pulled slowly away from the curb. When you’re carrying that much meth, you follow every law so you don’t risk being pulled over. I knew too many people in prison as a result of a tail light out, speeding, or failing to signal a turn. Once pulled over, it’s pretty easy for a cop to find probable cause to search the vehicle, I was good at following the road rules.

I drove down Broadway and pulled into the parking lot of a run-down motel. I forgot to look at myself before I walked in and got a long stare from the clerk. I saw my reflection obscured and elongated in the convex mirror above the register and could see blood on my face. I took a risk and asked, “Can I get a room for two nights?” There was a long pause before he replied, “I’ll need a credit card.” Of course he would. I looked through my wallet for show and paused, and stared in astonishment. There was the prepaid credit card Goggles had used to pay for the Google search. I handed it to the guy behind the desk and couldn’t believe it when he said, “OK, sign here and here is your key.” Thanks guys.

I took my key and went to my car to get my things from the trunk. I had been up for four days at this point and desperately needed a nap but there was no time. The hallucinations hadn’t quite come on yet, but my eyelids were heavy and there were split-second blackouts in which my knees would buckle if I stood still for too long. I needed to keep a good amount of meth in me at all times from this point on, and I needed to change my method of ingestion to keep my body and mind from shutting down. I opened up the room and turned on the lights and shut the door. I looked around for something to chop up my dinner and found it as always in the microwave. The glass turntable had served as a chopping tray countless times before, and it would do it again tonight. I opened up my huge bag of meth and pulled out a chunk and put it on the tray.

I pulled out a dollar bill from my wallet and covered the shard as best I could on all sides. I crushed it down first with my finger, then went over it several times with a lighter until it felt flat. I took my credit card and scraped the bill off and fluffed up the pile that was stuck to the tray. I wanted to get it as fluffy as possible so it would act quickly. I rolled up the bill and snorted the whole pile. It burned.

 Meth is a crystal, and no matter how much you break it down, it will remain a crystal until it is dissolved in some way by a liquid. When you chop it up so to speak, you’re turning one shard into a million little jagged pieces of glass. The chemicals inside the drug react quickly with human flesh and immediately cause a terrible burning sensation. That feeling alone was enough to wake me up. It felt like somebody poured Drano down my nose and into my throat, I loved it. And two minutes later, I felt the drug begin to take hold.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...