Sunday, July 31, 2016

Quandary 14



It was set. Tonight I was going to pull off a daring robbery of a man who would surely kill me if the plan was real. King wouldn’t be anywhere near the crime scene I assured myself. The only thing I needed to make sure of was that none of the three idiots came inside the bus station with me.

I secured my valuables to the underside of the sink again with duct tape, and exited my room. I drove to the station to check the place out and to drop off a brief case that I would carry out later. I had seen in movies that they often have long-term lockers at bus stations and I hoped that was the case here. This was all feeling like some sort of terrible B-movie, or a work of fiction by a brilliant, well-versed, attractive, smart, author. Most likely an author with a giant penis.

Anyhow, I pulled up to the place and was a little thrown off by how small it was. I guess in a town of only 100,000 people, you don’t need a bus depot the size of an airport, but this place was like a damn fishing shack. It would complicate things, but I thought it would work for what I had to do. The important thing was that I could not see the inside from the outside.

I parked and strolled through the door. I realized immediately that I had forgotten about my face. Everybody turned and looked at the same time like I had walked on stage. Fortunately, everybody that worked there was just three people. There were maybe another five or six people wandering around looking at signs, and I assumed waiting for the next bus to Vegas. The walls were painted in many layers with the highest-gloss white enamel I’d ever seen. Every ten feet or so were signs pointing out the dangers of riding or being near a train including my favorite, “Never stand on tracks when a train is approaching!” Brilliant. I guess this was a former train station. I didn’t want to appear any more suspicious than I already did so I went to the counter and inquired about tickets to Florida. She asked, “Train or bus?” I guess this still is a train station. Now the signs made sense, I should heed their warnings. I bought a train ticket to Miami for the following morning and asked if there was any place I could put my case overnight. She pointed to a small bank of lockers and said, “It’ll cost you one token to get the key out.”

“How much for a token?” I inquired.
“A dollar.”
“Do they have any monetary value?”
“Yeah, about a dollar.” She smiled at me.
“Can I use the tokens anywhere else, like, say, Chucky Cheese?” I asked.

She replied, “You could try, but they don’t take kindly to token fraud.”

“Hmmm. I guess I’ll just take the one for now then.”

I put the gun in the case in the locker with the token that actually cost $1.07, and I left the small building. I didn’t see tracks anywhere, which was confusing at best, but I didn’t have any plans to take a train anywhere anyhow.

I hopped back in the car and pulled away from the station. I decided I would need a clever disguise for my face for when I came back. I had to get a fake mustache, that would throw everybody off.

I needed to get high. I already felt the effects of sleep deprivation again. I had left everything illegal back at the room because I was carrying a gun, and the two never mixed well with police. I had to go back. So I went.

Just the excitement of knowing I was going to get high was enough to give me a small adrenaline rush. I took the flight of stairs in two leaps and found my room. I opened it up, went inside, and chained it, bolted it, and even clicked the little button the knob just in case. I looked at the door. Even with all of that security I could still see light through the frame. What a joke. I didn’t really care; it was just something to be negative about.

I grabbed my pipe and a small bag of crystals I kept separate for private use, and loaded it. I spent the next half an hour alternating between breathing air, and inhaling noxious meth fumes. I could feel a layer of shit building up on my teeth, and my mouth went dry. This is probably about when most people would throw up, but my tolerance was high, and I didn’t even bother to brush my teeth; I could lick off the layer of grime later and maybe get a small residual buzz from it.

I sat in the quiet, poorly lit room. My foot was tapping the floor at an alarming rate, and my mind was making sense of nothing and everything. I had to call the bad guys and lay down some kind of plan that would get me and them somewhere far away, and alone. I picked up the phone.

Driver answered, “What’s up?”

“I need you to be my driver tonight, I can’t risk having King see my car anywhere.”

“Alright, that makes sense.”

“And after it’s done, we need to get out of town fast. Somewhere safe, like where we had our first talk.”

There was a moment of quiet. “Yeah, I guess we’ll want to make sure you aren’t trying to fuck us over. We will keep you with us until we get there and see what you have for us.” Fuck, this was too easy.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...