Thursday, August 17, 2017

Thermophore


So what do I do with five dollars at Goodwill? I buy none other than the world famous Petite Thermophore. Not only does its penetrating moist heat temporarily relieve pain, it actually creates its own moisture from the environment around it.

I thought I would take a break from my normal recovery-related blog posts to share with you a product I find so fascinating, I thought I could come up with 700 words to describe it and its features and benefits. I will go for as long as I can, and I hope you laugh at least twice.

The Petite Thermophore is and automatic moist heat pack. It can assist in relieving all muscle tension in all parts of the body as you will see below in some of the pictures I have provided. The application of moist heat-fomentation-is a commonly prescribed therapy in medical practice today (1991). The body responds to moist heat by dilating the blood vessels, increasing the blood flow to the area under treatment. This increased circulation speeds recovery by bringing in fresh blood cells and taking away the wastes which may hinder healing. (I think it’s important to note that those wastes are then filtered through the liver and turned into feces.)

This particular hot pack stands alone in the industry as being more effective than other electric heating pads because it delivers very moist heat. Moist heat is especially useful in treating pain caused by muscle spasms from strain and tension.

Now that’s all pretty boring, but it was necessary for me to use the word moist as many times as possible in a blog post.

 

Now here’s what I find interesting. I love marketing, and without good pictures of what this product can be used for, I wouldn’t have taken a second look. But here we are. As I look at the box now, I can’t help but wonder where these people are. I wonder what their lives were like back in the early 90’s. Did these actors get a phone call from their agent asking them if they wanted to do some modeling? Was the guy in the middle excited that he finally landed some professional work? Did he run home from his job at the shoe store to tell his cat they would be “eatin’ good” tonight? Why isn’t the lady on the left smiling? Is that part just stock footage of a kidnapping? Does she know she’s a part of this? Have these people ever worked in the modeling industry before or after? Is there like a medical therapy moisture pad actor’s guild? No. Google says no to that last one.


I did a little more research and found that this product is still made, but the box is different. It retails for $38.09 and I found a different brand that looks more like a brown mustache-poop.

I plan on going to more Goodwill stores and other thrift outlets because somebody I like likes them, and I like that. I hope to be able to bring you more of these terrific finds in the future, and maybe someday I will open a thrift store of my own where I sell only horrible used medical goods.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...