Sunday, August 27, 2017

She


It’s been nearly four months since I had my interview at the Lafayette Club. I’ve written extensively on the subject as time has allowed over the summer season, but I have one subject I’ve only barely broached.

I remember clearly being lead around the enormous compound by my future boss on the day of the interview. I was dressed in tan slacks with a blue plaid shirt tucked in, brown leather shoes to match my belt and watch: I looked like I wanted a job. Maybe I even used “product” in my hair like some sort of model. A lot of people say I look like a model.

I remember the tour well because something significant happened; I saw her for the first time. She sat across the bar doing paperwork (an employee not a patron) as I stood and tried to listen to the history of the dining room. I stared. I had never seen such a beautiful woman. My brain told me then that I would take the job because I needed to get to know her. I knew then that I needed to taker her on a date. I don’t think she ever looked up, but I hoped that if she did, she would feel the same way.

Time passed, I started working behind the line, and I got to see her more often. I was scared to talk to her at first; in fact, I would look down every time she walked by in fear of her catching me staring. Fears get in the way of a lot of our lives, so I decided that plan wasn’t working. One day she was on the opposite side of the line and I offered her a sweet potato fry, and she accepted, and she smiled. The smile nearly buckled my knees. I whispered in French, “Tu me tues.” You kill me.

I needed a plan. I decided to kill two birds with one stone: I would bring hilarious jokes to work every day and tell them to her. She would laugh, and I would get to see her smile.  So I did. Every day I would bring the funny, and every day she would laugh, and every day I would get to see her laugh. And it just kept going.

 

Each day of our lives represents opportunity to better this world. I have found over the past few years that if I continue to do things to help others: to make them laugh, to listen, to care, my life in turn becomes more whole. Each day I am given I try to figure out what I can give to this world, and when I focus on that instead of myself, good things seem to keep happening, so for today, I’m going to keep doing what I’ve been doing, because what’s happening is incredible.

 

Every day we would talk over the foodservice counter (through the window in kitchen speak.) Every day I would learn a little more, and I would want to know more. And one day, we became Facebook friends. And that’s when I found out she had a husband.

 

 

To be continued…

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...