Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Selfish


I’ve been focusing on myself too much I think. I’ve been writing on my involvement with the home buying process, and not taking inventory of myself and focusing on the still suffering alcoholic and newcomer to the program as I should be on a constant basis. This means that I am always supposed to be on the lookout for things like selfishness, self-centeredness, resentment, and dishonesty, among other things, and when they come up, I need to address them and resolutely turn my thoughts toward somebody that needs my help. I know I’ve been selfish because I’ve been irritable at the things that normally make me happy: that’s a pretty big sign.

It’s okay to be selfish on a certain level: it gets me through the day. Like I can take time to shower, eat, sleep, and do the things that come naturally to humans like poop, fornicate, and breathe. But I can’t spend all of my time thinking about and worrying about all of the paperwork, financing, and the physical act of owning a home without spending an equal amount of time understanding how I was even able to get to this level of achievement.

None of this is possible without the hands-on work I do in my 12-step program, so I’ve tried to spend a fair amount of time this week finding more local meetings, and eventually, a meeting that I can attend regularly in Silver Lake. I have one sponsee in the program currently, but I am moving farther away than I already am so I will leave it in his hands how he wants to proceed. My sponsor is fine with us meeting once a month in the cities, and talking on the phone once per week and if anything urgent arises. When I find my footing in my new city, I can start to build a new foundation and network with other sober minds far away from my home group in St. Paul. I will still get there every now and then, but not often.

 

I’ve been working a little bit on step-11 which is about prayer and meditation. This isn’t new territory for me, but it’s really the first time I’ve given it an honest try. It’s based on the fact that I already have some understanding of a God of my choosing, which I do. Unfortunately, the God of my choosing is the group conscience in the meetings I attend, so it’s a little difficult to focus my prayers on something that doesn’t exist in my car at 5:20am when I’m driving to work, but I try anyhow, and I still call it God. I pray that I find the ability throughout the day to show love and tolerance to everybody I encounter. I pray that I am relieved of the desire to drink or get high for one more day. I pray for the knowledge of when to keep my mouth shut, and I pray that I act as part of the solution, not the problem. Sometimes I get a little more specific if there is some underlying fear or resentment, and always I ask for the liberation from the bondage of self, as it has been so disparaging in my past. I do all of this in about one minute, and then I turn MPR back on for the morning news.

Lately, I’ve been forgetting to do my little prayers, and I can tell during the day that I started without them. Maybe it’s just a subconscious thing: maybe it helps me remember to be nice throughout the day when I say these things in the morning. Maybe it’s all just a coincidence, but I know that it works when I do it, so I need to keep doing it. This will make me a better person, a better role-model, and a better friend, and none of those things are selfish.

 I have two little girls that look up to me and those are the two most important things in my life, and it’s easy to overlook them (because they are short) when I’m fielding correspondence  from mortgage brokers, title companies, utilities, real estate agents, and more. It’s easy to tell them “later” when they want to play, because I have to find an old document or file taxes from 2016 as fast as possible because I’m a moron and didn’t want to pay but now I did and the stressful day is over and I have all documents in and I just want to relax but I have to cook dinner and clean up after them and bathe them and read them stories and get them to bed and it just never ends. It would be easy to say, “Somebody else should be doing this. Somebody else should be paying for their lives. Somebody else should be contributing SOMETHING to their lives other than their mom and me.” But I don’t, because as adults, we provide what the children need.

The children have all they need. We have everything we need, and even a little of what we want. I’m not just complacent, I’m happy. I’m free. I want more of this life. Now that’s selfish.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...