Sunday, April 22, 2018

Lunch in the Park


Today I realized that I still have no idea what I’m doing in the role of a parent. I know, I am not a parent, but I play one on TV. Fine, that's not true.

Intermittently, I will have the opportunity to spend an entire day with the girls. Today Amanda works a double and she left early this morning and my day began. I fed them, dressed them, changed diapers wherever necessary, and even gathered the contents of something called a “diaper bag” which must always contain so much more than just diapers which is so deceiving it’s not even fair. They should call it a diaper wipe juice pouch Shopkins snack blanky Kleenex banana bag. That would be more informative and accurate. Anyhow, I packed that bag and we left Delano for the big city.

The big city is what the oldest girl calls anything east of Delano. She’s pretty spot-on, but this time we headed for Minneapolis to have lunch with my mom at Theodore Wirth Regional Park and playground. When we arrived the girls both saw the latter of the aforementioned depiction and pulled me toward the swings as fast as they could. We swung, we twirled, and we climbed. Well, we didn’t, but they did.

After a while my mom snagged a picnic table and setup for a nice afternoon meal. She brought cheese, potato salad, tomatoes, a pineapple, pickles, bread, and mustard. Pickles were a hit with the girls, as was the pineapple. I had a talk the day before with Ella about being polite when being offered food that she knows she will not like. That conversation was well received at the time, but it all went out the window when potato salad was introduced to her plate. I tried to remind her of that discussion, but she remained phased. This is when I become conscious that I have had enormous difficulty communicating with these children, especially the oldest. I think and act logically, or as I see logic in a situation or thought. Children do not think logically, they don’t get that I do, and that most of what I say to them is probably received as incomprehensible because it goes against what they think would be a more fun alternative. What the hell am I going on about?

I read somewhere recently that kids need to spend most of their time just being kids. When they are playing, they are learning. I get that, and I need to incorporate some more of that style in with my rigid, hardline approach to certain areas of their lives like… eating. My mom pointed out today that no matter what they eat, they keep growing and they don’t starve. That makes way more sense than telling them they can’t leave the table until they eat their vegetables, or threatening to take away toys if they don’t “listen better.”

I’m not saying I’m mean: we have a ton of fun and I get hugs all day and there is a general feel of happiness throughout this household. I’m saying that I’m learning how to be a parent and I’m not getting everything right. I need to be okay with imperfectionism. I devised that term just now and it means this: I know that I will not always do everything perfectly, or even above average, and I should be okay with it and expect the same from others. This applies especially to children.

After lunch we went for a nice walk through the thawing woods where I contemplated my new theory on parenting. And when we eventually left the park after another hour on the jungle gyms, even though neither of the girls ate much for lunch, I took them out for ice cream. Not as a reward, not because I was making up something to them, but because I love them, and I want to see them happy. Maybe I'm not so bad after all.







And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...