Monday, April 2, 2018

I Peed on my Foot


I woke up at 6:30 this morning, as I do most Mondays. Groggily, I tiptoed around a regular bedpost, and a much more menacing, testicle-smashing bedpost that crunches me between itself and a dresser. This is how I get out of bed; I do this every morning, not just on Mondays. Normally it’s at 5am.

I escape the dark chamber with little bruising and head for the bathroom. I get up fifteen minutes earlier than I need to be up to get the girls ready, so I can do my business in the bathroom. I mean poop and pee just to be clear. I should mention here that I was tossing and turning all night with an upper back strain that is quite painful, and I wasn’t fully aware of everything going on at the moment because I was being cautious of how I was sitting so as not to exacerbate the situation.

After two minutes of sitting on the toilet I realized that my right foot had been sitting in a rather large puddle of water and I became annoyed because it hadn’t gotten cleaned up from the bath the night before. I was annoyed at myself, because I would have been the one responsible for cleaning up after the girls bathing. I was quickly relieved when I looked down to find that the puddle was actually a lagoon of my own urine that had leaked between the seat and bowl because of the awkward way I had sat down. I peed on my foot. Fortunately, I was wearing a sock so it soaked it up and into all the crevices created by my toes.

I grabbed a towel and cleaned up the mess, and it was time to get the girls ready. I try to do this by myself on Mondays, because Amanda does most of the work in the mornings when it comes to the girls and I like to let her sleep in. Sometimes, but not always, I try to do their hair. Today was not a hair day, as she was up and helped with that.

We had big plans today. We need to do all sorts of stuff to get ready to move in two months. Most of it is for the girls, and today our goal was to find a new daycare in our new town. First, we checked the internet. We found that there are eight in-home daycare businesses in Silver Lake. We looked for reviews, we made some calls, and we scheduled an interview with one of the two that answered their phones this day after Easter Sunday.

We sat down with a lady and asked questions. She had great answers for everything we wanted to know. We toured her house, and loved what we saw. This is as specific as I’m going to get for technical reasons, but we called her later and said we were going with her. She seemed just as excited as we were, and that’s a whole separate process with many moving parts, but it’s progress. I’ll just say this: everything clicked. I’m as happy with this daycare provider as I am with the house. I don’t believe anything could be better.

We went shopping in Hutchinson and got a feel for the town. It has everything we need and is only nine miles away.

We went back to Silver Lake to the post office because we didn’t see a mailbox anywhere around our property. We found out that we have to get a P.O. box, which is really no big deal. We asked for a cool number and then said it would be cool if our number matched our address: 217. It was available! It’s the little things, folks.

This is all for tonight, here are some more pictures:
A view from inside the breezeway.

Technically, this is our front door, although it is on the side of the house.

We just needed a picture to show how cute out little P.O. box is.

This is our front door, and entrance to the breezeway which leads to the house, garage, and backyard. If it looks like there's paint chipping, it's just the snow. The cement looks dirty; it's just dirt. And maybe we could have flipped the doormat to a flatter position, but it was cold and windy. I love how you can see through the breezeway to the backyard.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...