Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Now


Hi. I’m going to try something a little different today. Amanda (that’s my girlfriend) is attending a C.M.A.A. event this evening and I will be watching the girls because, well, that’s part of my life now. It’s just after 4pm, and I’ve worked, worked out, and showered for the day, and I will be leaving in just a few minutes to pick up the two caterwauling tornadoes. The rest of this post I will try to transliterate what is happening around me to you as it is happening. I will embolden real-time events.

 

At the daycare center I walked past a few rooms to find the oldest child. It’s easier to pick her up first because the fewer distractions the better when getting a two-year-old. I find the oldest on the floor of the gymnasium picking up bb’s from a small plastic toy box she has dropped. I can’t imagine why any kids toy would contain bb’s, but here I am trying to find them on the floor of a daycare gym so no other kids pick them up and eat them. The little one is done with her snack that you will read about below, so she is trying to hand it to me. I don’t need it for anything so I tell her to put it on the table.

We leave the big room and head down the hall to get the young one. She runs to me with arms open and I give her a huge hug: it makes my day every time. We gather together her things which include: a backpack; a scarf; various art projects from the day; a hat; and her coat. The little one wants juice now. She doesn’t really want to put on her coat, so I lie and tell her mommy is at home and it works. The lie won’t matter in the long run because she isn’t old enough to remember in the short term, and I can distract her with treats when we get home.

We get home. Both children want a snack and I oblige them. They both want Nature Valley granola bars, but they don’t want to eat them out of the package; they want them in Ziploc bags. Again, I oblige. The little one is again done with her snack, so this time she sets it on my keyboard; small crumbs dance their way across the keys until they find a temporary home somewhere in-between the letters. The older one is now by my side telling me she wants to go to her friend’s house because she didn’t see her today at school, and I tell her no because I have never met their parents and I don’t know where they are. The little one is now directly to my left, coughing on my face several times and whining to me that she can’t find her juice which is on the table in front of us,and now she wants a pear. She’s crying again saying, “I want eat”.  The older is now to my right, sniffling because she can’t see her friend. I can’t win.

They are both done crying: It’s one minute later. It’s not dinner time yet, and the girls just had snacks. They are both whining now. It’s not crying, but it’s close. The big one still wants to go to her friend’s, the little one wants her blanky, so I tell her to go get it. She obliges. Nope. She came back without it. I don’t like giving them snacks too close to dinner time because they won’t eat their dinner, so if she actually is hungry now, it is possible I’m being neglectful. Either way, I will start dinner after I finalize this post. The little one found the remainder of her sister’s bar and is chewing on it while she stares at me. She coughs. Her hands and face are sticky and covered with oatmeal and sugar. It is my responsibility to clean her up, so I will do that now.

We are all settled down now and relaxing in front of the big-screen watching Angry Birds. It’s time to do something fun before dinner. Last week I showed the oldest how to start up a batch of agates in the tumbler. Today we get to check the progress and make sure everything is working properly before they get closed up for another three weeks.

We checked the rocks, and we found a blanky. I started a load of laundry, and now it’s time to start dinner. When I started this post I thought it would be fun to sort of write down what was happening in my life with two children on a given night. What I realized was that when I’m focused on something else (this post), I’m not being in the moment with them, and that is the most important thing. So I’m ending this here, and I will come up with something more substantial when I have some free time in the coming week.

 

 

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...