Sunday, January 14, 2018

Footgame


We don’t have TV. I should illuminate that last sentence by saying that there are several television sets in the household, we just don’t subscribe to any satellite, cable, or over-the-airwaves boob-tube programming. I have Netflix, and that is what we use most frequently. The Vikings game was not available on Netflix.

I should illuminate that last paragraph by stating that I have not watched a regular-season football game in years: I really don’t care for the game. I am however interested in the possibility that the Vikings may very well go to the Super Bowl in their own state, a feat which has never been accomplished by any team.

I had no way to watch the game, and I don’t own a radio or even know if the game was anywhere on the dial as playoff games in many sports are not often broadcasted over the A.M. and F.M. frequencies. I do have the internet on my phone, so I googled the MN Vikings score at about 4pm today and saw we were up 7-0. I refreshed the screen probably a hundred times over the next three hours as I was lead through a roller-coaster ride of fear, doubt, and elation. I was finishing my dinner and the screen said there was ten seconds left and we were somewhere in the 30’s on our side. It wasn’t looking good.

I hit refresh one last time, looking for 24-23 to be the final score, when I was surprised to see 24-29 final. I raised my fists in the air and declared victory for the Vikings which was met with a cheer from the older girl and two blank stares from the others. I couldn’t believe it. I knew from the score that there had been a last-minute touchdown, but I couldn’t find any footage at that point. It took about ten minutes for me to find the clip of what I will refer to as the immaculate missed tackle. Hey, it doesn’t matter how you get there, it matters that you got there.

I know nothing else about football. I have no idea who we play next, or whatever teams might have made it in this year, I only know we are where we are because of every minute of every game of this season. Everything—good and bad—that has occurred this season, has lead to this moment.

 

This is how I perceive my life as I know it now. I wouldn’t be who and where I am right now if it weren’t for all of the shit I have put myself through in my life. I have to be grateful for everything, because it all equals me.

There are new stressors in my life now, but I react differently than I would have many years ago. In the big book of A.A. the chapter on the 10th step contains my favorite sentence: Love and tolerance of others is our code. I love it because it tells me how I should be living my life in sobriety. If I have been honest and thorough in my step work up until this point, this will come naturally, and it has.

I find myself reciting that phrase over and over in my head throughout my day when I encounter things that used to baffle and destroy me. Now I have an understanding that I can’t control what other people do and think, and I don’t waste my time dwelling on things I could or should have done. The only thing I have any power over is how I show up right here and right now.

I kept trying to think of a football analogy to throw into that last paragraph but I couldn’t think of anything meaningful because I don’t know how to properly use the terminology from the game. So, since I’m a fairly decent writer, and I like using new words, I’m going to give it a shot here.

 

My life now is like a nickel formation, because touckback. Up the middle is where my sobriety is and I threw the ball for a timeout. First down. Skol! I’m sober, and there’s a flag on the play. And boom goes the dynamite.

 

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...