Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Willing


There are seven letters available to play every turn on Words With Friends. The other day I was shuffling them to find a word, and it stopped on VALERIE. Val is Mike Tambornino’s mom, and I realized that it was the day they would be moving up north, and it would be my last chance to communicate with them. I called, but got no answer, and there was no machine on which to leave a message. But I tried. Making amends starts, most importantly, with being willing, and I have shown my willingness even though it is now unlikely that I will ever see them again. I don’t know why she never called me back, but I’m not the most important thing in their lives right now, and I can accept that and move on.

I had some plans for a road trip to Wisconsin this weekend, and I have modified them to include more time in Madison, and only the Brewers game in Milwaukee. I am going to spend some time with an uncle whom I have not seen in possibly two decades, and his family. I’m branching out more and more as time moves on and away from those terrible cold, dark days of prison and addiction.

 

When I was just a boy, maybe 15, my friend Nathan and I somehow got invited to a New Year’s Eve celebration at a fraternity house in River Falls, Wisconsin. We weren’t new to the party scene, but we were used to carousing with people our own age, with a tolerance to chemicals similar to ours.

I remember very little of that evening except for a few sketchy details of finding Nathan passed out in a chair in the unfinished basement, and enlisting the help of some college boys to duct tape him upright and securely to the chair. He was safe. I continued to drink bottled beer and if I’m not mistaken, that house is where I first experienced Jägermeister. I remember liking it because it wasn’t as strong as vodka or any of the other hefty solutions I had tried before, and I remember pretending not to be sick before I went to the bathroom to throw up the concoction I had brewed in my young stomach.

If you’re unfamiliar, throwing up is an important part of drinking heavily. It makes room for more, because isn’t drinking the best? I made it until roughly 11pm before I was fated to the same basement where I found Nathan with one arm free, covered in his own vomit. I laughed, and flopped on the floor on what I recall to be something of a gym mat. We were woken up at midnight by somebody telling us it was officially the New Year. I pumped my fist in the air and squealed out a muffled, “woo hoo.” I was finished.

I don’t remember how I got home, or if my mom was there, or any other facts. I’m not even sure if what I have written is all fact. But I do know that I think I had fun, and I knew that someday I would be big and strong enough to party like those boys did.

Someday I did party like those boys. All of them combined I think. There were months at a time I would drink myself into blackout twice per day, even when I was working. Completely incapable of taking care of myself, I would slide quickly into oblivion, ignoring all of the warnings from my friends and my body that I was destroying myself inside and out. I would never learn anything valuable about myself or my problem while I was drinking. I had to wait until I was done. Even then I had to wait until I was free from chemicals for about a year before I could seriously look at myself and what I had become.

Now, 23 years after the party in River Falls, I can see what the attraction of alcohol is: it makes you feel good. I had to fix everything in my life to know that I can feel good without it, and really I love it this way. There’s never any hangover. Never do I have to hear what I did the night before from an irritated friend. And never do I worry that I’m going to lose everything I have, yet again, because of some stupid mistake I made at work while high on meth.

And now here are some pictures of sunrises from my front yard in St. Paul.


And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...