Monday, April 3, 2017

Moved


It’s been a long year. Around this time last year, I was still dealing with the Department of Correction’s strictest level of supervision, and living with my mother while on house arrest. I was stuck in a dead-end job that I hated, with no real opportunities in sight. But I was making the most of it, and things were looking up in a number of ways.

I do a lot of these posts where I reflect on some aspect of my life—or all of them—as it relates to my life a year ago and what I have accomplished since then. I like doing it because it shows me improvement and gives me hope that if I keep doing well, the following year is sure to be even better.

About a year ago I moved out of my mother’s nest for hopefully the last time. I moved into a small house where there were already two grown men living, only one of whom I knew. It was kind of rough at first, because I like to have alone time, privacy, and quiet, and none of those things exist in a house with three guys, unless you shut yourself in your bedroom with headphones on, which I frequently did. After a while, that got old, and for some unknown reason, my social anxiety started to dispel, and I became more communal, in and out of the home, probably in part due to my heavy work with a sponsor and the 12-steps. I got out of my head, and started living the life I hadn’t been able to since my incarceration and, let’s be honest, for years before that.

I started writing all of that last night, but I couldn’t keep my eyes open any longer. I’m off of work today for only the second time in three weeks. I have big plans. I’ve already been out for a run, and gone to the gym. I have laundry in the washer and coffee in my cup. At around noon, Heather and I are leaving for Target Field to join a few associates in watching the Twins on opening day. You may or may not recall a post I published last year around this time in which I wrote about my cold adventure to the home opener with my friends from prison. Well, this year it’s the same idea, but we three are bringing our significant others this time around. (For you passionate readers, a side note; Heather and I are working on things, and it seems to be heading in a positive direction, more on that later.)

Last year the temperature was in the lower 30’s and the wind didn’t let up for the entirety of the game. The Twins were able to score a run. (The second game I went to last year yielded zero runs which was upsetting because I had purchased them a run rack. They didn’t even score a run, let alone many runs which would necessitate an entire rack.)

This year, the temperature looks fine, but at 3:10pm—game time-the forecast calls for intermittent showers. Being from Minnesota, weather doesn’t really ruin any plans, but for fuck sake it would be nice to catch some sun.

I suppose that’s about all I have for this post. Unsurprisingly, I will be bringing my camera with today, so you can look forward to some great shots of the field from about 100 feet in the air where our seats are. Until then…

 

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...