Monday, April 24, 2017

Over Now


Quite the opposite of my schedule over the past half-year, the past couple of weeks have been mostly away from the bedlam of the Xcel and the varied entertainment held within. Between five-day segments of R&R, I worked a maniacal 24-hours in a 32-hour period, during which I prepped for and cooked for all of the guests that would enter my restaurant while attending the Def Leppard & Guests concert, and the final playoff game for the Wild who flailed and faltered, despite a strong third-period bid for contention. And now it’s done. The season is Over Now and I have time to sit down and process a few things before I go back to some scattered events and Lynx games while receiving seasonal unemployment.

Will I go back to the laminating factory? Probably at some point it will become necessary to put in a day or two, here and there, to supplement my mediocre summer of already subsidized government-based income, which only nets 50% of my salary. So, What I will do is stay away from both jobs as much as possible for about a month because I can afford to do so, and then weave my way through the hot season hopping from job-to-job until the Wild start preseason again in October.

 

Not all of you read that recently my relationship of nearly six months fell apart as I only shared that post on my Facebook Blog page. I appreciate all of you who have sent me words of encouragement, and I want you to know that even though I am down (although I may not show that outwardly), I have many tools, resources, and friends and family to help me through this and come out of this emotional slump. I also appreciate you, Heather, for all you have given me, and all we have done over the course of our relationship. I love you, and I care for you, and I hope you will always remain my friend.

 

I’m sitting at my new coffee hot-spot, J&S Coffee on Randolph and Saratoga in St. Paul. All at once, everybody in the establishment—save for the employees and people in line out of my view—turned and stared at me. I thought, perhaps, that it was because I’m wearing a controversial shirt, but it is more likely that they witnessed the arch of coffee exit my mouth and spray the entirety of my computer and remaining table space.  It’s the closest I’ve come to drowning since my cruise through Grand Cayman over a decade ago, and these people had the audacity to sit and watch me wane. Naturally, if I were one of them, I would have probably laughed at the situation. I simply waved at them all and mentioned that I chose the wrong tube to swallow with, and cleaned up my mess: real life, folks.

 

Yesterday I went to another Twins game. It was the fourth of the season that I’ve attended, but the first that I went to alone. It’s not that I couldn’t find somebody to go with; it’s that I wanted to be there alone because, like a trip to the river to find agates, I find serenity and peace at the ballpark. The Twins didn’t do very well, losing 13-4, but I found the silver linings and enjoyed myself throughout.

Today, I have been to the gym to lift, and to run. I have been to the coffee shop to drink, spit on my computer, and write this post. I will go home and take Willie for a walk, and likely continue to watch the new MST3K on Netflix, and chill. It’s been a while since I have put meat on a grill for personal consumption, but today could be the day I experiment with that in preparation for a BBQ I plan to have at home within the next 30 days. These events of mine take a lot of prep, care, and consideration. I’m proud of what I produce for my friends, family, and guests of guests, and it excites me to know that the grilling season is nearly here. It should excite you, too, if you know me well enough. I’ll write more tomorrow.

 

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...