Saturday, April 15, 2017

7 Hours and Sixteen Years


On April 15th, 2001 I was admitted to the residential treatment facility of Hazelden Center for Youths and Families. It was Easter Sunday, 16 years ago.

I was in rough shape at the time. I was heavily addicted to crack-cocaine, and used alcohol as my main source of caloric intake. That’s no joke. I’ve written extensively on that preceding winter in a few posts, and referenced it countless times. I would go for days without eating anything other than canned gravy and stale keg-beer. When I did eat, it would be something I had stolen from Rainbow Foods in the soon-to-be-demolished-for-a-sport-that-can-go-for-three-hours-and-end-in-a-tie-of-zero-Midway Shopping Center. I lived on the couch of a reluctant friend who was also addicted to crack and who was squatting in the home of his mother who had just died. When I couldn’t take the scene—every few days—I would go drink and sleep my sorrows away on the train bridge that passes over Snelling and Marshall Avenues in St. Paul.

Desperately, one day I had had enough and I reached out for help in the form of a note to my mother I left in her mailbox. She offered to help, and two days later I was in the intake unit at H.C.Y.F. in Plymouth.

The first day they did all of the paperwork, medical history, drug test (mine came back positive for T.H.C and Cocaine), and a few other interesting tests like spelling, reading, and some weird science stuff. It was the next day, they said, that they would need to draw my blood. Shit. (Sorry for the language, Mrs. J.)

My temporary roommate and I were equally terrified of needles and we stayed up all night laughing and joking around about licking the alcohol off of the wipes they use to sterilize the arm before penetration. He was from Green Bay, WI and had an equal tolerance for chemicals. We would become close friends for a while after treatment, and I went to visit him in New York a couple years later where he had moved to stay sober. At the end of that trip, our mutual friend told me that he had not, in fact, been sober, and he was spiraling downward quickly. I never saw or talked to him again.

After a four-month stay in treatment, I moved to Florida for a one-year aftercare plan in a half-way-house in Palm Beach Gardens. The aptly named Freedom House had a picture of the beautiful blue ocean on its web page, but when I arrived, it was miles away from any beach, and separated from train tracks by only a small stream. Every time a train went by, the house rattled, and only the shriek of the horn overpowered the earthquake. But everything else was groovy. I made some great friends, found my way through the rooms of Narcotics Anonymous, and enjoyed a warm winter.

I constantly refer to the serenity of those golden days because I think it was the first time I actually gave recovery a shot, and maybe the first time in my life I felt good about myself. I made it nearly five years and decided to test myself with one beer. I failed and suffered for roughly nine years before I finally was given a chance to rebuild myself through a stay in prison. I had really hit bottom again.

The thing about the bottom is, it can always be lowered. There’s a lot of damage I haven’t done yet, and I’m fully capable of going on another bender, using up all of the resources I have accumulated since my release from prison, and starting down the alleyway of certain death. I know I can go back out and use anytime I want to. I don’t know if I can pull myself back out again. It’s been 16 years since I hit my first bottom, and I have done it a few times since. Each time is a little worse, and it’s a little tougher to find my footing. If there is a next time, if I ever do go out to do more research on addiction, I think I will find that the only hole I will be digging is my own grave.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...