Thursday, March 16, 2017

The Road Down


Somewhere between Cannon Falls and Rochester, I was hit with the feeling that this trip was significant. Back it up a little bit; this was my fourth trip down to the Fillmore County area since my release from prison, but the first time I had ever brought a companion with me, other than my mom.

This trip was special for a few reasons. Most importantly, I was bringing Heather down to meet my friends, and show her the beautiful town of Lanesboro that I talk and write about so much. In the decade that I’ve had and known my associates down there, I have never had a significant other that I could introduce to them, and I was proud to do so on Tuesday.

We began the journey at 11am in my Ocean Blue Mini Cooper. Normally, fear takes hold of me on the outskirts of Rochester, remembering that I was arrested there, and driving by so many familiar small towns on the north end that were common stops in my drug dealing days. Every exit can trigger a negative memory, or thought of the “good times” I occasionally had while strung out on meth. As we approached the inner city, I was able to point out some of my more common stops, such as the Motel 6, and the Super 8 in which I was last arrested on December 20th, 2013. I showed her the corner just after the intersection with I-90 at which I woke up going backwards at 70mph in a dazed spiral of lunacy that landed me in a ditch in the middle of a cold winter night. And as we drove through Chatfield, I gave her directions to a house at which I stayed for a while just before prison.

Instead of these thoughts, and memories floating around in my head like they normally would on a drive, I was able to verbalize (with a subject, of course, making the sentences complete) them, and process them more absolutely than I had before. I didn’t feel any of the consternation I normally associate with passing through to Fountain.

And then there was Fountain, the town where it all began, and descended rather quickly. There’s a shot in my head that I didn’t capture with my camera that I see now. To my left is the apartment in which I lived above the pizza place for a couple years. Across the street in front of me is the Bent Wrench, a bar I’ve written about frequently. I can picture myself in so many drunken stupors and mind bending meth binges. I could see my old self, walking across the street; clothes torn, shoes worn through, eyes bloodshot for numerous reasons, and a stagger in my step caused by the same intoxicants that would ultimately get me fired from that job. For a while, my life was contained in those two buildings, and eventually just my apartment.

I lived in fear there for months while my life was overrun by addicts taking advantage of my kindness, and my own brain; afraid of what might happen if I stepped out into the light, or asked my friends for help. Quickly, the power was shut off, and everybody moved out. But I stayed, stubborn as always, and lived by oven light and fire. I had no job, no friends, and no motivation; I was lost, and alone in the dark.

That was nearly four years ago, and a lot has changed. There have been some ups and downs, but after prison, even the downs are better than the ups I had while using. Seeing those places didn’t make me depressed, rather it confirmed the worth and value of all the hard work I put into my recovery, and I could instantly see the results sitting beside me in Heather. Four years ago I was not capable of having a relationship. That was the significance of this trip; I needed to see how much had changed, and I saw development from what I was all around me, in everything I did and saw. I saw progress.

More pictures to come via Facebook album. This is the duck pond in Sylvan Park in Lanesboro. I absolutely did harass the ducks.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...