Sunday, March 26, 2017

Break


Hi. I’ve been drifting away from my writing for a while now, and I don’t like the feeling of unfamiliarity I get sitting in front of my screen. Things in my life have been tumultuous to say the least, and today is going to be the day that I take away from the chaos.

I was scheduled to work today, the eighth day in a fifteen-day stretch in which the Wild are at home, and a couple concerts roll through the Xcel Center. I decided to talk with my bosses and inform them that I needed a “personal day” because I needed a break. I have been pushing myself for a little over five months, and today is just a prep day, and I am all caught up. So, my first goal was to write a blog post, which I believe I am succeeding in right this moment.

Unfortunately, there are other aspects of my life from which I needed a break, and my relationship is the big one. Things are on hold right now in what I will only refer to as a longer “personal day.” I know my life is very public with this blog, but hers is not, and that is why I will leave it at that.

So, what am I going to do with this day? Well, this was top priority, but while I’m writing, my first load of laundry is in the washer. It really piles up when I work every day, then go to the gym, then change into my PJs.  So my plan for the morning is to sit quietly in front of Netflix and slowly clean up after myself from the last week of nonstop action. I will eventually go to the gym, because that makes me feel good about myself, and I will take Willie out for a walk in the woods, where the air is clean, and the sounds of the city are distant. And I will send a letter to a prisoner, something I did regularly for a while, but have to catch up on today.

I start another seven-day workweek tomorrow, and the clothes will pile back up, my feet will ache, and my mind and heart will race with thoughts of my future in a relationship—my resting heart rate climbed from 59 to 64 since we decided to break it off. I just found out this morning that the Wild clinched a playoff berth, which means the month of April is now full of work. But, then there’s a lull, and I will be able to restore some sanity to my agenda. This is a six-month schedule, and for the most part, it’s been manageable, really just the past month has been chaotic. And when summer arrives, and I’m off for weeks at a time, I will really be able to enjoy myself because of all the hard work I put in over the winter.

Summer: Here comes the beauty, the fun, the timeless classic. Here comes the sun, and the magic it creates. Summer makes superior memories, brighter smiles, louder laughter, and it brings us all out of the dark that we’ve been cooped up in for too long. Come on, sun, poke your head out, we need you.

That’s all I’ve got for now. I will try to write more often because when I do, I feel more creative, and when that happens, my whole life is better. Really, I do this for me. You sometimes get to benefit from the strange thoughts and opinions that leak out of my head, but really this fixes me, and that is why I need to keep writing.

 

 

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...