Sunday, March 12, 2017

Coming Back (Fort Meyers Revisited)


It seems like years ago, in fact it was. The series of posts that I started writing just over a year ago on my trip to Fort Meyers for spring training keep popping up on my timeline on Facebook, and memories keep coming back.

Parenthetically, two of my friends are there right now, enjoying their time in sobriety, sun, and now in engagement, as he proposed to his girlfriend (with whom I am also friends) on a walk on the beach. Mason and I are part of a trio that still keeps in touch after our time in prison, and spell through the boot camp program. We are all Twins fans, and are all meeting up in less than a month to attend the home opener, and all with our girlfriends. Looking back on this paragraph, I should clarify that Mason’s fiancĂ©e was never in prison, I am referring to Mason, Eric, and Vince (me), as the trio. Mason and his girlfriend are in Florida.

This will be the second successive year that we will attend the first game of the year at Target Field, but the first at which we will be accompanied by our gals. I hope we can make a tradition out of this.

 

If you do take the time to peruse the series of posts I share in the link above, you will see a dissimilar Vince. I look cheerful, and I am smiling or making a goofy face in every picture, and maybe I actually was happy during that trip, but I remember the trip back was one of remorse because I knew I was heading right back into the lifestyle in which I had entrenched myself which included four ten-hour days of work, followed by two days of heavy drinking (I almost always allowed myself a day of recovery, not because I couldn’t take it, but because I drank in such excess that my body wouldn’t properly function without it. Those days were spent in cold shivers on the floor of my apartment in front of the television, drifting in and out of slumber). My work-days were not reserved for sobriety, to be clear. Often I would need to be high just to face the daunting tasks ahead of me, managing a kitchen by myself, with ill treatment from an ungrateful boss, and I would start drinking the minute I clocked out. Maybe it was all reciprocal. Maybe she treated me poorly in exchange for allowing me to show up in any condition, or maybe she was just greedy which I think was the case. Here is an entire post I wrote on the subject, so I can digress now and move on with my thoughts.

The last night we spent in Fort Meyers was used as a fitful night with no sleep in the lobby of the airport. We made the assumption that airports are open all night, which I believe in some cases they are. In this case, we were wrong, and we had to try to get in bits of rest on unforgiving plastic chairs with obstructing metal arm-rests. At one point I tried to lodge my larger-than-now torso through a length of armrests on top of the chairs. The result was disastrous and comical. Another thing we didn’t realize was that there was no liquor available to help put us to sleep, so we stayed awake all night, and stayed grumpy for the day.

When we arrived back home, nothing had changed. I was tired, broke, and all I could think about was getting high and drunk. As it turns out, no matter where I go, my disease follows me. I had a memorable experience and the vacation of a lifetime, but I wasted all of my money at a bar which is what I would have done at home anyhow. Many of my nights were recalled for me by Seth, as I was in a near constant blackout state towards the end of the days. I went back to my normal routine, and that lasted for many more years.

 

 

 

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...