Wednesday, March 4, 2020

NC 4


I’m not just here for the food. I am attending the 2020 Chef-to-Chef conference at the Westin Hotel in Charlotte. This is a rendezvous of roughly 500 private club and resort chefs from all over the country, here to engage with each other, listen to lectures, eat food, and see new trends. I’ve never been to anything like this before, but I’ve been to several food shows, which are one-day events where vendors show off their goods in hopes of promoting their businesses. Here, there are vendors, but many of them show off wares, applications, and services.

I don’t have any desire to bore you with the intricacies of the lectures I endured, but I did pick up some highlights which I will surely bring back to the club and unwrap with my management team. What I enjoyed more than anything was the tour we took of three local clubs: Carmel Country Club, Quail Hollow, and Meyer’s Park. All were unique and similar, and all had their own flair that they showcased for us; fellow club employees.


In North Carolina, private clubs are not subjected to health inspections, therefore, they can do cool things like curing meats, and aging steaks without having to write a HACCP Plan.

These are the bubble girls. Because when you have so much money you don't know what else to do with it, you put acrobats in bubbles.






First, yesterday was Monday, universally the only for-sure day off in the club industry. I am forever in their debt for not just showing us around an empty club, but for bringing in an entire staff to cook and plate never-ending small plates for us to gorge ourselves on. And second, I was inspired equally by each club for going over-the-top for us; non-paying non-members. It felt good to be waited on for once, to simply set a used plate down on a tray and have somebody whisk it away. I gleaned an essence of what it is to be a member, what it’s like to be treated like you are important, and I can use this to up my level of service to our members at our club.

I am also here for the food, and I had a bad taste in my mouth after our disappointing dinner at McNinch. I wanted to expound on my experience at the Stalling’s Rockhouse BBQ joint we started the trip with, not necessarily bbq, but good southern food. We picked a place called The Asbury, which sat beneath the sophisticated Dunhill Hotel. The door was locked, and there appeared to be not a soul inside. Fortunately, one of us (not me) had the idea to go through the hotel entrance, which provided us ingress and eventually a table for three. And I was wrong; there was plenty of soul in that restaurant.

When in Rome, you do as the Romans do. When in North Carolina, you seek out soul food, and you gain weight. They had a menu I could have eaten. Grits, chicken, biscuits and gravy, porridge, oh my; I’ll take one of everything, please. I settled on the chicken and waffle with collard greens, and when it arrived, I could only smile.

Soul food has a place in my heart although I’ve only ever cooked it much to the dismay of my patrons over the years. I can cook, and I can cook soul food well, but people in my home region don’t seem to have a taste for greens, okra, grits, and so on. I’ve always wanted to try real chicken and waffles in a real southern state, and I was in absolute heaven when I dug into the perfectly balanced dish. Sweet, savory, crunchy, and chewy are the best possible descriptors for this dish. I’ve never had anything so great, and instead of a $200 bill, it was under $20. What a perfect rebound.

We left to check in at the hotel, to find they were behind schedule, so we left our bags with a stranger and proceeded to attend mini-lectures. We went out for a late lunch of BBQ at Queen City Q, where I ordered smoked chicken, brisket, sausage, and ribs, with fried okra and maque choux. We also ordered smoked wings and pork rinds which were still popping when they arrived at our table. There were six sauces at our table to choose from, and I tried them all and once again landed on the mustard-based as my favorite. Truly, I was in a state of bliss, and I wanted to live my life in that restaurant, but we had to pack up the remains and get back to the hotel…. For dinner.




To be continued…

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...