Monday, May 20, 2019

Until Next Time


When my mother and I started writing the original blog nearly five years ago, we had no idea what it would become. I’m sure we still don’t, but we have high expectations that it will be discovered by a descendant of Oprah, long after we are dead and made into a holographic movie—because it’s the future. Our separate blogs often overlap on subject, but have their own theme and passion. She writes about travel, life, and on occasion, prison, recovery, and family. I try to stick with recovery but often life is too brilliant to let it be unwritten.

My life now is as I’ve always hoped it would be: full of love and laughter. It’s not perfect. I still make mistakes; I still fail. But I always keep trying to be better. I persist on this life that I want to keep. I have everything I need, a lot of what I want, and I’m learning. I received a scholarship in fatherhood education, although I might hint that it has cost a lot. I’m still very new at trying to be a role-model for the girls for whom I have purchased a minivan and a home, and I feel as if I didn’t receive the owner’s manual to which I could refer when I am alone. But, again, I keep trying. I keep building relationships with these little people that look up to me for guidance, patience, and apple juice. We are all learning together, and we have ups and downs, but overall, we have a good thing going. I am a Girl Scout dad.

My last post reflected on my engagement to the mother of the two girls we guide through life. We’ve also had our ups and downs, but I stayed with her because I knew from the moment I saw her that it was her that would change my life again. If she hadn’t been sitting in that exact chair, in that precise moment, my life could be different now. But this is where we are, and this is what we are building together. We don’t just own a house together, we are evolving a home. I love all of them, and I want to make this last. So…

I’m taking some time away from writing publicly to spend more time creating this love that I crave now. I’ve taken breaks before, but never for the right reasons, this time I’m not doing it for myself. I will continue to write. I plan on spending my writing time developing a unique, funny, and realistic spin on my wedding vows. I want to create something she will never forget, and something I can actually adhere to, because I can’t have and hold her when I’m at work, and definitely when I’m driving. For better, for worse, in sickness and in health seems so vague. What about herpes? What if I get a superpower from a leech, and I become a new hero called Man-Leech? I would have to commit to that probably as crime dictates.

I want to write something sincere and heartfelt, and I need to take some time with this or I’ll just write stupid jokes like I did in the previous paragraphs. I don’t want it to be cheesy.

 

So, off I go. I’ll be back, and I’ll update you on my life as it evolves, and I’ll probably change the theme and purpose of the blog at some point before I go live again.

Enjoy the summer if it ever arrives.

So long.




And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...