Sunday, March 24, 2019

Rock


Am I the only one that stops picking my nose when oncoming traffic approaches, regardless of the time of day? I’m positive I can’t see what other drivers are doing, and I assume that they are also excavating, but nonetheless, I stop burrowing and pretend I’m focused on driving until traffic ceases. Also, I’m a skeptic on people’s motives on driving behind me when I’m performing the same essential function, so I either speed up, or I slow down enough to let them pass me by.

Also, WHERE THE FUCK ARE ALL OF MY SOCKS!? How did I have so many just a month ago, and now I can’t even get through the work week unless I double-dip on foot fashions. Who the hell is taking them? I remember Amanda asking me in the trial last week about what I had sacrificed in my pursuit of a life with the girls. My real answer should have been socks; just my socks, my lucidity, peace of mind, money, tranquility, and silence. But I said something all loving and emotional. I fucked up.

This post got off to an odd start. I’m currently in my house with five screaming children, running and jumping, and otherwise being children. Just a few days ago we had even more kids in the house for Ella’s birthday, and five or five-hundred of them slept over. My mind is scattered, but I had a few thoughts I wanted to jot down. Remember, I write this for me, not for you. J

There are a lot of good things happening in my life that I just can’t quite write about yet. There are a few negative things, too, but I will process that somewhere else.

I started that post a week ago, and I haven’t had a chance to get back to it yet until just now. A lot happens in a week, and I am happy to say I can write about the good things I alluded to in that last paragraph from last week.

I received a promotion at work this week that becomes official on April 1st. My hope is that this is not an intricate April fool’s joke, and that this is not an over-the-top way to fire me. I don’t think it’s that.

They say, when one door closes, another opens up. When I was denied the post office job, I figured I would just go back to normal, and wait for the next opportunity. Little did I know this would happen so quickly. I’m not going to go into details because others had to suffer to open up this door for me, but there are a lot of changes happening at my work, and I am happy to be part of it all. I think my official title is King Sous Chef Extraordinaire. It also might be A.M. Lafayette Room Sous Chef. I like both.

I have fresh responsibilities, different challenges, and new opportunities. I've been working on the line for nearly two years, and finally I get to step away and be more helpful to the clutch. I won’t miss it per se, and I will probably enjoy the times when I get to step back into the fire for a day or week when people go on vacation, but I will spend most of my time behind the line, creating, butchering, preparing, and otherwise orchestrating the daily functions of a professional restaurant kitchen.

This is just another example of what can happen with long-term sobriety. I have never been promoted to anything in my drunken or methed-out self. Nobody gave me more responsibility, or thought of me for it. My bosses knew—and wisely so—that I was an incapable human, and passed over me for those of sound mind. I was a wreck, but now I’m better. Now I’m useful, not just to me, but to others.

To those out there that are in limbo: you haven’t hit bottom. Anytime that phrase is thrown around, it sickens me. It’s cliché. You haven’t hit bottom. Every time you think you have; understand, there’s a basement. That basement has a dirt floor and you can keep digging. It will always get worse until you get better, or until you die.  You will lose everything, over and over. You will lose more than money or things, you will lose yourself.  I haven’t hit bottom yet and I don’t want to. This is why I keep trying to help others by showing them I have found a way out of the pain and madness. I found a solution, and you can have it. You can live without agony, anger, selfishness, and fear. You can build yourself up again, and get back everything you ever had and more—and you can be part of your family again. You just have to be honest. Forever. You can be a good friend, son, and grandson. You can be a good father again. I have faith in you. Don’t let yourself down. They are counting on you.

I hit rock bottom, but thank God my bottom wasn't death.
Stevie Ray Vaughan

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...