Friday, March 1, 2019

Maybe


After much careful consideration and a thorough investigation into my criminal background, the United States Postal Service has rescinded their conditional job offer based on said background. They say it is no reflection on my abilities to perform the duties of the position, and that I am encouraged to apply for future vacancies within the Postal Service. Three minutes after I received that notice, I received another email from H.R. stating that they were now encouraging me to pursue other career options, as I am not suitable or eligible for other positions within the Postal Service.

Maybe not enough time has lapsed since I did the things that made me who I appear to be to the majority of society. Maybe they are afraid that because of my felony theft in 1998, I would rifle through the mail and steal trinkets and money so I could buy the drugs I was convicted of possessing in 2014. Maybe they looked at my lawless career as a whole, and decided that even though I am a good person now, I spent much more of my life breaking the law than fixing myself. Maybe. There are a lot of questions on my end, and just a cold, automated response generated by a system to which I cannot reply on their end.

I guess it’s over. But I’m not down. Truly, I actually feel pretty good that I tried to do something I thought I had no chance at achieving. And as I related in an earlier post, this is the worst case scenario. My current worst case scenario leaves me with a good job, great benefits, and coworkers I already like. I still have a home, a girlfriend, a minivan, and all five of my limbs; six if you count my head. I haven’t lost anything, nor am I not gaining something substantially better than I have. In fact, I think the Post Office is missing out on a hard-working, young, passionate, young, diligent young man and they will be worse off without having given me a chance, but I do not resent them. They have to go off of statistics, their best interest, and the best interest of society.

I have to live forever with the mistakes that made me who I am today, and I am particularly pleased with who I am because of these faults. No expungement, quantity of time, or measure of work I do with others in the program can ever erase the history of me on the internet, so I cannot and will not ever try to hide my felonies from potential employers. I can only hope that someday, somewhere, somebody overlooks my list of blunders and gives me a shot at something that I can do until I retire.

I know I can’t be a line cook forever, and I know I don’t want to move up the line from cook, to sous, to chef. I’m not qualified and I don’t want to work those kinds of hours. I love being creative with food, working with people from different countries, and I like the sense of humor that can be used in that environment (see Waiting). But I also like helping people get through what I have been through, and would like to find a way into something like that. But, as I’ve mentioned before, I have no qualifications other than living it and surviving it. I have no shot at going back to school, and few options this far out in the middle of nowhere.

So, for now, I wait to make a move, and hope something comes to me when the time is right. Maybe I get old and crippled on the line and have stories to tell until I die, or maybe something or somebody finds me and knows where I can be of more use to society. Maybe I find a place where I can write on a more….paid basis. Maybe.

I’m grateful for what I have. If I keep taking chances, my life can only improve as long as I understand that failure is part of the process. I’m good. I’m humble. I’m alive.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...