Friday, October 26, 2018

Bath Time


The bathroom is done. I should say, the bathroom is roughly half completed. It took two days to demolish, remove, and replace a cast iron tub from 1954 with something modern and more fitting with what we like in the 2000’s. I didn’t do any of the work, but we will likely do the rest of the demolition over the winter.

The contractor said that he rarely sees a home as well constructed as ours. Well, he actually said that what would normally be a two-hour demolition took him all day because of the layers of plaster, metal mesh, and tile that some “asshole” had put up back in the 1900’s. Fortunately, we had paid by the project, not the hour, so we didn’t incur any additional labor charges due to frustration. I’ve posted pictures of the old bath before, but I will post one again to compare it to the new one.

 


As you can see, this tub needed to be replaced. I can't find anymore pictures of the rest of the shower, but I can assure you they are burned into my memory.

I told the contractor that Amanda and I planned on using the winter months to tear down and build up new walls for the rest of the bathroom, and he suggested that I use all of them. I’m now wondering if it’s even possible to do what he has done and make it look decent. I have absolutely no knowledge of how to make a wall, or take one down properly for that matter. But, I have neighbors who are willing to teach, and to help. I think this is a project we will need help with, and this small town is great for people who want to help each other.
 
Here is our new bath and shower. Everything from top to bottom, inside and out, is covered by a lifetime warranty. I mean, it's plastic and pex, so nothing should really go wrong, but it's nice to know that we don't have to worry about anything.



 
It's not fancy; it's functional. All people really need to do in a shower is... bathe. We have to wait 24 hours before we use it so the adhesive has a chance to dry, but then we can leave that old cast-iron tub in our memories, and begin the process of completing the rest of the bathroom by removing years of plaster, steel mesh, and tile, and putting up something modern. I think I may have written an identical sentence up at the top of this, but I will leave it in because I'm about done writing and I don't have time to fix anything.
I'm still sober. There, this post is now recovery-related.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...