Thursday, May 17, 2018

Nothing Much


I’m in a place. I can’t really tell you where I am or why I’m here, and that’s exciting for me. Where I am has no internet connection—for my computer—and it’s like back in the day when the internet didn’t exist. Of course, my phone is on the table just to my left and I can access any app and the World Wide Web with just the push of a button, but pretend-land is neat. I’m not in a place that’s detriment to my recovery or life; I’m just not going to tell you about it.

It’s Thursday. It’s 4:40pm, and we’re one workday away from moving day. We’ve been packing and purging. Goodwill is likely to have a profitable second quarter based solely on the donations removed from the 30X30 storage room that is attached to the apartment in which I currently reside, and Amanda has lived for some six years. This is a good purge, not like that movie in which all crimes are allowed for a day including murder.

We’re not just getting rid of stuff: Amanda is removing a significant part of her past from her life so we can move on to our new existence.  She has found a lot of painful memories, and it hasn’t been easy on her. That’s her story if she ever want’s to tell it.

We filled up a six-yard dumpster in one shot last night. If you’re wondering how big a six-yard dumpster is, it’s 6 ft 8 inches wide, and 5 ft 4 inches high, so that makes sense. We aren’t allowed to fill it up past the top which is stupid because she spent just south of $300 on the thing and they put it in the wrong driveway. But it did hold a lot, and it’s done and we can focus on moving forward.

At the new house in Silver Lake, we’ve completed the painting in the kitchen and living room. I really can’t wait to show pictures of the before and after because the difference is rather noteworthy bearing in mind the walls in the kitchen started as wallpaper, and the walls in the living room were a 1960’s shade of light green. There’s still some glue to remove in the laundry room and some light sanding and painting to do, but we got done what we needed to before we move. But this is not time to rest.

I managed to get moving day off of work (Thank you Jefe) so I can be part of what was going to be just a two-person moving team. Three is certainly better than two, but more is better than that. Last chance for anybody out there interested in helping out! The pay is $0 and the weather is supposed to be lousy. So…

I’ve not got much else to add to this post. I’ve been busy for weeks, and I need to do a little better about my meetings and my 12-step work, but I’m not in danger because I have plenty of reserve in the tank. I’m looking forward to checking out some new meetings in my new area when time allows, which is a necessity. This is what I’m going to look for  on my phone with the internet right now. Until next time…

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...