Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Allpaper Down


Everything between the moment when I found out we were clear to close on the house, and the actual time I signed all of the documents, was a relaxing break. The closing itself happened in the office of my real-estate agent in Winsted with he and a representative of both title company and mortgage brokerage office in attendance. Two of the sellers ended up being there for the final thrilling moment. They had grown up in the house that their father had built, and grown old and died in along with their mother. They were there to get their check, sure, but it was more than that for all of us: it was an extension of life.
Image result for people sitting around a table looking at important stuff

I signed paper after paper, and initialed line after line before it was done. Then the sellers handed me the key; I was speechless. I had been waiting 39 years for this moment, and four years ago I thought this was not even a possibility. Now nobody can take it away from me (as long as we pay for it.) Amanda took pictures of some of the critical moments but I left the camera at the new house, so I will post them at a later date. Actually, for this post, I will find pictures on the internet of other people doing things that look important.
Image result for donald trump signing things

Even though Amanda had to get back to work for our Cuatro de Mayo event, we drove to our new home after the closing to take pictures and bask in our accomplishment. We walked around the property inside and out, and we took a few more pictures. This is ours. This is our home.

Flash forward to Sunday, two days after closing. My mother was gracious enough to give up a day of her life to help peel wallpaper and remove glue. I—probably we—were under the supposition that we would be spending the whole day just getting the stuff down. We were wrong. In just under three hours, we (including Amanda) had all of the ugly wallcovering in plastic bags ready for disposal. The glue underneath, however, was a different story.
Image result for wallpaper glue on wallsImage result for people taking down wallpaper
There are four rooms in all that need to be painted. The kitchen is first priority, so after removing the paper, we got to town with a stripper and began removing the glue one square foot at a time. The stripper left shortly after we began working, so we were able to be much more productive. Another four hours of scrubbing the glue and we were done. Well, done with the kitchen.

Yesterday Amanda and I went back to wash the walls with T.S.P. and prime. Everything looked so different than the day before. There is so much more to do in this house. My mind races to find all of the projects and complete them all as soon as possible, but today a very wise woman told me that summer is here, and we have a house that is fully functional to enjoy as a family. That made a lot of sense to me. There are a few superficial changes that need to be made before we move in, but after we are settled in, it’s time to enjoy the weather and save up to do these tasks in the winter. We currently have 360 payments left on our mortgage, so this is definitely a “long term” scenario. We are going to be there for a while, and I shouldn’t try to get the lot done now.

There are eleven days left until we move, and I have one day off until then. Actually, I have to work on moving day. For these eleven days I will try to get as much done with the walls in the four rooms as possible. A little paint is going to go a long way in making this place look a little more modern.
Image result for beautiful mansions
And that’s all. I’m going to stop writing so I can add funny pictures.
 
Hey, I found some real pictures from my phone. The top two are the result of the peeled wallpaper in the kitchen and laundry rooms. The bottom is a picture of said paper.


 

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...