Monday, June 5, 2017

The Concert


Good morning. And what a beautiful Monday morning it is. I appreciate having weekdays off because there is less hassle everywhere I go. I am sitting in a nearly empty coffee shop where I can concentrate on writing, and then I plan to go out and enjoy the sunshine and warmth.

This past Saturday I got to see a concert for the first time in sobriety, and it was definitely the best I have ever seen. Joe Walsh and Tom Petty came to the Xcel Center and played their hearts out. I will say first that I could tell that these guys really love what they do: thanking us between each song for our applause, and interacting with the crowd with stories and antics. Joe Walsh was on my bucket list, and not only was I not disappointed, he is the best guitarist I have ever seen live. I wish my camera on my phone worked better so it would be worth sharing the pictures with you, but it is garbage. I don’t know why I didn’t bring my real camera with me. I will definitely bring it with for Roger Waters.

Tom Petty I had seen before. He was even better than last time. I went about a decade ago with a few friends from the Fillmore County area and from the cities, and one of the guys I was with blacked out and threw up everywhere before the show even started. He was slumped over in his chair and sleeping until the end as far as I remember. I was also drunk, but my tolerance has always been higher than most.

Just before the concert started (10 years ago), my friend and I went into an empty bathroom and passed a joint back and forth under the stalls and made vulgar pooping noises because that was funny back then. When we finished up, we opened up the doors to find long lines in front of both of our stalls, some of them children. We couldn’t help but laugh hysterically as we stumbled out.

This time I went with a friend in recovery, and we had conversations with adults, like adults. During Joe Walsh, I was seated next to a woman who was the equivalent of a clothed stripper and kept smashing her butt into my face and apologizing. I could smell the beer on her, and she was gross. Now, grandma, don’t read this next part… At one point she bumped me really hard and exclaimed, “Sorry for shoving my pussy into your mouth!” And she laughed. Ha ha ha ha ha.. Well, you know what laughter sounds like. Fortunately for us, we made jokes about her to the couple sitting next to us who had friends one section over, and we were given the opportunity to switch seats, which we did without hesitation.

Aside from that, the experience was legit, vivid, and memorable. I will never forget every moment, and I will cherish the times when 16,000 fans sang together some of rock’n’roll’s greatest songs.

 

And that’s all for now. For the rest of the summer I will be working 50 hours or more per week, and I will likely curtail my posts to one or two per week for the duration. I love what I do, and I am having fun and learning along the way. I hope you are all able to get out into the bright sunlight more often than not this summer.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...