Monday, June 19, 2017

Beurre


This last workweek has been trying to say the least. In my career as a cook, I have only had limited time at a sauté station, and it is known as the fastest-paced station in any busy restaurant. Over the past four work days, I have been trained in on that very station. When I say trained in, I mean thrown to the wolves like is customary in a kitchen.

The last time I tried my hand(s) on a twelve-burner, I was working down at Riverside on the Root in Lanesboro, MN where I was high on days of meth and I had trouble keeping my eye on a single pot of boiling water. I never could keep it together at any station there: tongs and spatulas everywhere, none of them functioning properly as my mind whirred about in a spin-cycle of culinary chaos. I would sweat profusely, and I was blind from neglect of proper eye-care—I cannot see without corrective lenses. I often wonder what I looked like from the point of view of a coworker or a diner; could they tell? Did they watch me waste nearly every move, spinning in unproductive circles, and wonder which drug I was currently abusing? Of course they did.

Five or so years later, and with couple-or-so years of sobriety behind me, I am able to be in the moment, and focus on the task-at-hand. Orders come in, and I can make sense of them, put them in order in my mind, and cook properly. Sauté is difficult, and I have made some mistakes, but I didn’t get flustered: I fixed them and moved on. There is no time in a busy kitchen to waste on thinking in the past. Everybody will make mistakes; we just have to make sure those gaffes don’t make it out to the customer.

One thing that is a little frustrating is that the particular clientele—country club members—occasionally will send something back that is perfectly cooked, and we have to start it over. This slows everything else down, and disrupts the flow, but these people pay a lot of money to be members, so we do what they say and keep moving.

So, what do I do on sauté? Well, I start the day by getting all of my ducks in a row. I set up my line, make a few sauces like beurre monte, and orange beurre blanc, and make sure I have adequate amounts of all of the pastas and ingredients and proteins. Then we get to work. Orders come in and I quickly scan the ticket, look for things I need to fire, and then assign them an order in my brain. I do a lot of sides like sautéed pea shoots and roasted baby carrots with pepper jelly. I also make pasta to order like the mezza-luna which is like a half-circle-shaped ravioli that we make from scratch. For that pasta, I assemble together in a pan: buerre monte, lemon juice, shallot, garlic, fines herbs, smoked raisins, roasted cauliflower, and s&p. I put the pasta in boiling water for a couple minutes, and when it’s ready I fire the burner and add the pasta to the ingredients and flip it around just long enough to heat it all up, but not so long that the sauce breaks. It is very complicated, and it takes a lot of concentration when I have five other things going on at the same time, but somehow…. I’m good at it. It truly is more complicated than I can even put into words, but I’ll get there.

Each day I fall in love with this new job as it presents a new challenge. Each day I remain sober, my mind becomes more focused on celebrating life and finding the best in every day. I think I’ll stay there for a while.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...