Monday, August 26, 2019

Honeymoon 3




 

 
This is my wife. This picture is also a symbol of her new freedom. Amanda, much like me, has a dark past. Our former lives are similar although on opposite ends of alcoholism. Many of my readers know that we met at work, but she reached out to me as a result of finding this blog, and wanting to know about the disease. She was hurt, and had been for years.

We have been through a lot together, but by herself, she has climbed mountains and become an individual capable of anything. She is free to make her own choices, be her own person, and trust unequivocally. She knows I am here when she needs me, and I know she is there for me. We are free.

This picture is worth 565 words. It tells a story of liberation, love, and triumph. It shows transformation, courage, and hope for women who have overcome (or still need to) fear of harm. This picture is the epitome of courage. Watch out world, here she comes.

Image result for binomial theorem

This is the binomial theorem. I have not a clue what it means (although I am positive the answer is 42), but as I was searching the tool bar for those three little asterisks that separate ideas in a chapter (or post), I came across several equations and thought it was nice. It’s nice.

On the fourth day of our familymoon, the weather was perfect. Amanda, her mother, and the girls all spent hours playing in the water. I stayed a fair distance away from the lake as many of you may know I don’t care for water having nearly drowned in the Cayman Islands fifteen years ago. I don’t even like taking baths. In public pools I will go in, but even when I go under just briefly I get extreme anxiety and I gasp for air and want to leave immediately. Enough about that.

Yesterday, we grilled pork chops, sipped exquisite coffee, the ladies indulged in leftover wine from the wedding, and we had another campfire.  I’ve really enjoyed my mornings writing with coffee on the screened-in porch. It’s a little chilly, and I only brought clothing with short sleeves and legs, but I’m a man of the woods now and cold don’t bother me none.

Today is our last full day at the cabin, already. Time moves too quickly for my taste, but it seems to have slowed ever so slightly out here in the country. Two nights ago, Amanda and I went out by ourselves to dinner to a quaint little cabin-restaurant overlooking Webb Lake. We sat out on the patio and watched the sun go down, basking in silence and photons. When she and I first started meeting, we would sit at a coffee shop and talk, or not talk. Even in the beginning, we could just sit and enjoy the moment. We could talk for hours, or just watch the people, but it was never awkward or uncomfortable. We enjoyed each other’s company, and still do. Now I get to spend the rest of my life with the one I love and have grown to understand and appreciate. She’s unique, funny, intelligent, and caring. She’s a little crazy, unbelievably annoying, and perfect. She’s my life. We are the light.

It was you all along, my love.  Be you. I love you forever.   

 

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...