Tuesday, September 4, 2018

I Have That Going For Me


T

he unofficial end to summer has come and gone. The kids are back in school, the restaurants slow down, and the weather will be back to garbage before we know it. It’s been a hell of a summer in so many facets. This has been the summer of achievement.

Just over three months ago, my girlfriend and I purchased a house together in the middle of nowhere, in the hopes that it would be a good move. Living out here has many benefits like cheaper real estate, less crime, and unobtrusive tranquility. The cons list is shorter but features some important items like the long drive to work and the distance from my family. In the beginning—and it is arguable that we are still in the beginning—I pondered frequently if I had made the right decision, but I kept getting daily reminders from my lady and her girls that this is exactly where I want to be. We lucked out having neighbors in every direction with children near the ages of the girls and they made fast friends with a few of them. The kids are happy, mamma is happy, I am happy.

Today, the seven-year-old walked us up to her new bus stop for the first time to catch a ride to her first day at a new school. We were all up at about 6am—pretty late for me—getting everything ready for the big day. Second grade; I can only vaguely remember bits and pieces of my grade school experience, but I think this is where I stopped developing mathematically, and I look forward to picking up where I left off when I help her with homework every night.

Like I did last year, I make her lunch every night as I’m making dinner for everybody. It’s a small part of a routine that is made up of so many pieces. Kids are a lot of work, and I feel as if I have stepped up to the challenge with caution but aplomb. I cut the crust off of the bread, and I only add cheese if she specifically asks for it. I sneak in a little something like gummy vitamins or a Hatchimal or a note whenever I find the time, and she seems to respond with happiness and smiles when she comes home. It’s the little things, as they say. But there are so many little things.

 

 

T

he cold season is coming sooner than we think. This means it’s time to start thinking about projects. Realistically, I don’t know how to do any projects so this will either be the winter of the apocalypse, or the winter where I watch a lot of YouTube videos on how to use a hammer. We still have a few painting projects to be completed, and we would like to figure out something to do with the floor in the basement. I want to put more insulation in the attic, and I would like to remodel the bathroom. The bathroom is a few years out, but I want it know that I would prefer not to have pink tile in any of the rooms in this house.

 

A

nd finally, three nights ago, I had a vivid dream. I was standing on the deck of a vibrantly colored outdoor restaurant with two friends. One of them I couldn’t see, and the other was Anthony Bourdain. We were laughing and reminiscing as if we were lifelong friends. Anthony and I stepped off of the deck onto the dew-covered grass and walked off toward a playground. He stepped up onto the platform for the monkey bars and I turned toward him. His profile was framed by the smoke from the grills in the background and the sun beat down on his salt-and-pepper locks. I locked eyes with him and said, “I know you’re dead. And I know why.”

The corners of his lips tended upwards as he looked to the ground. I knew I had hurt him, but it had to be said. His clothes crumpled and fell to the ground as his body took the shape of a snake and he slithered away. He was one with the earth again, and I was standing in the middle of a coil of pulsing snakes.

The quantity of snakes in the dream is the most significant aspect according to the internet. The magnitude along with somebody dying is all representative of substantial change in my life. It also symbolizes an abundance of energy that I have not tapped into. Incidentally, the snakes were all green which indicates health and fertility. So, I have that going for me, which is nice.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...