Monday, February 5, 2018

A Night


It’s easy to write about what life is like for me these days because it doesn’t generally—actually, at all—bring about painful memories, or make me wonder if I’ve fully amended certain areas of my past. For this post, I’m going to stray away from my current life to bring you a harrowing story of redemption and heroism all the way back from the year 2000. Now when I say redemption and heroism, I mean degenerate crack-addiction, just to clear up any confusion in what I’m about to portray.

Dreamy fade to the year 2000. (Think the Wayne’s World dueduladeudela noise.)

The 1900’s were over, see, and I was just coming up in the world of skillful distribution of street pharmaceuticals. I wasn’t very good at it because I was always disinclined to heed the advice of N.W.A.’s Dope Man or Biggie’s Ten Crack Commandments, which I believe all stemmed from some counsel by one Tony Montana: Don’t get high on your own supply. It’s great information that should be strictly adhered to in the dealing business.

In my case, it started back in the 1900’s with weed. I would front an ounce of weed and I would start smoking off of it right away. Then I would get my friends high, and then I would owe and struggle to find new criminal ways to pay my debts. I would fail, succeed, and fail again, and eventually find a new source and start the cycle over again. On and on it went for years until I found the hard stuff. Cocaine changed everything for me: it was a new game.

Now I would go get my bag of weed and sell it all and take that cash and give it to the crack dealer. It wouldn’t take long for that to be gone, so I quickly burned all of the bridges. I burned the cars, too, (Like Eagles fans!) and anybody else that I could get to, like my mom. People became metaphorically flammable.

After a particularly vicious cycle, and very possibly shortly after being released from jail, and also just after being responsible for allowing my closest and most honorable friend of years get arrested (but never charged or convicted) for a crime I committed, and shortly after stealing cocaine from a friend and replacing it all with baking soda, I found myself back at my mom’s house. Again.

Now, I don’t know how many times I had landed back in that situation, but as far as I recall, this would be one of the shortest stints and the catalyst for a very long cruel winter that saw me couch-hopping and eventually land me in a treatment center where I desperately needed to be.

 

I recall one night in particular, it was bad even for my standards. My mom went to bed and I was left on the chair in the living room all alone. I had a liter of whiskey which I had cleverly hidden while she was in the room with me, and I could finally drink freely. It took me about two hours to polish off the bottle. When I get whiskey drunk—and I mean liter of cheap whiskey in two hours drunk—I’ve been known to make decisions that I would later in life reflect upon, much like I am doing right now.

I made a choice. I’m fairly certain I even slurred the words in my head, “I’m gettin’ high.” Of course, I didn’t have my own money, but I was sure my mom did. The first place you look for woman money is a purse, and that’s where I found the jackpot: her A.T.M. card (they still had those back then.) I also found her keys, which was great because I was in perfect condition to drive, which I did.

I hopped in, went to the cash machine, and drove down Marshall Avenue until it became east Lake Street. I never spent much time in Minneapolis, but I had spent many years as an active drug addict, so I knew that when I saw the guy and nodded to him, he would know what I wanted, and he did. He brought me to a nearby crack house (twice) where I spent everything the card would allow me to withdraw. I gave the stranger a small portion for his work, and I headed back home without incident.

I smoked on the venomous  intoxicant through a pop can the entire night, alternating between sweating profusely and peeking through the blinds as a result of paranoia, and playing scrabble with myself.

When my mom woke up, I pretended I had also just risen, and played the good son by offering to start her car for her (because I wanted there to be a reason there was less gas than when she parked it the night before. It made sense then.) She didn’t say anything to me then, and she didn’t know the weight of what had occurred for a while, but much later in the day she left me a note telling me to leave. I did just that. I didn’t want to deal with what I had done, so it was time to move on to the next heist.

 

There is the biggest difference between an addict and a drug user. I was an addict. My decisions affected other people and society. I didn’t care about what you had or how you got it, if I needed to get high, I would do anything I could to take what was yours. And I didn’t care. That is the aspect that still haunts me. That is why I go to any length now to stay clean, because it is still within me to go to any length to destroy whatever you own. I was the literal definition of detriment to society.

Years later I found out that what I had taken from her account amounted to everything she had (in that particular account). It took even more years to really feel the burden that I had assessed onto loved ones, and to try to make things right. I’m still in the process of writing my wrongs, and righting my crimes. I may never be done, but it’s important for me and you that I keep working on it.

This all happened on just one night in roughly 15 years of steady addiction, some nights were worse. Every night was a story.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...