Sunday, March 31, 2019

The Light


Winter is over, and tomorrow marks the official start of my promotion, full-time hours for most of the permanent workers at the club, and an end to a tough season financially. Who knew buying a new car and home in the same year would be so burdensome?

Winter was tough, and although I had more time off than usual, I failed to complete any of the tasks I had envisioned finishing in the three-month personal recession. Realistically, I still haven’t even started any of the projects I wanted to, except for tearing down some wood paneling in the basement which I plan to replace with drywall—or sheetrock. Actually, I still don’t know the difference, so I will Google that post haste. I also don’t know what that means.

So, I’ll paraphrase here and say that Sheetrock is to drywall what Kleenex is to tissue. So, that mystery is solved. Posthaste is actually one word and it means with great speed or immediacy. So, I used two terms correctly without knowledge of their meanings. I must be smarter that I let on.

Here I’ve gone on again without any real meaning or idea for an actual blog post. I would love to write about how much I’ve been working with other addicts and alcoholics lately, but it’s been a month since I took a meeting into a facility so I should really get back on that. Nothing can compare to the feeling I get when I leave a facility where men with whom I have so much in common are learning that there is hope. I am inspired by their courage, and amazed by their strength. And, I am fascinated that some people are able to stick with it when they have every right to leave. Some people are able to recover without being locked in a cage. I tried many times, and I guess the lock and key was the trick for me.

Many of the men I see in institutions will not succeed. Many of them—about 80%--will not stay sober for a year. The numbers get better after that, but overall, about 14% of people who attempt sobriety will stay sober forever. After five years, your chance of relapse is about 15% which is pretty good. I don’t want to toot my own horn, but I have a significant anniversary coming up in a couple months, and I have so much in my life I want to keep, I think I will keep the streak alive.

I know that I will live with my addiction forever, and I always have to keep things in check. I know that I don’t want to lose everything again, but it is possible. I have to fight my brain on occasion when I think about my future. I would love to try some of these new fancy beers they have everywhere. But I know I would want to try them all, and possibly in one night. Then the next night, then the next morning, then every day until it’s all black. Then it’s all gone. All of them; all of it. It looks like a quick process in just that sentence, but I can assure you it is a long, agonizing process in which, little by little, I start to lose the wonderful little pieces to my beautiful puzzle I have been assembling in this four years, nine months, and five days. I will become fractured, despondent, and I will run and hide from anybody that would try to help me. It’s all very possible, but not when I work with others.

When I show others the solution I have found, I see light. Something in me heals when I help others without being selfish. I have the ability to stay sober every day because of people that were in this program before me, and it goes on and on, back to 1935. All it takes is two people in a room talking about the problem to be considered a meeting, but the more you fill a room up, the more love you can feel. The more love you feel, the more you heal.

I will never be done doing what I do. I will always want to help the sickest, drunkest, most dishonest people still alive. Because in them I see me; I see hope. I see the light.

 

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...