Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Water Part 2 (Anhydrous)


The leak remained active for days. Every time I went down to my man-basement, I could hear the steady drip. Drip. Drip. I possessed the metal to repair the pipe, but I did not own the mettle. Drip. Drip. Drip. On Monday, I was sitting on the couch researching plumbers on Home Advisor, when the overpowering urge to not suck at being a man my whole life became present in me. The worst thing that could possibly happen while repairing pipework is that, well, I could confuse a pipe for a copper gas-line and we would all explode. That is a very real thought process I examined before I turned off the water to the house.

Broken

Fixed
 I decided that there shouldn’t be any gas lines behind the bathtub, and I proceeded to crawl into the empty space that cabinet drawers normally occupy. I secured the close-quarters pipe-cutter I bought from Menard’s three days previous and began to turn. From above, I could hear the drip below. Drip. Drip. Drip. I turned, tightened, and turned until a gush of warm blood gloved my hand and I shrieked in terror. I adjusted my flashlight and realized that the blood was actually water seeping through the cut I had created in the copper pipe. I was only slightly concerned that water still flowed even though I had turned off the main knob in the basement, but the pressure slowly subsided and all was quiet except for the drip. Drip. Drip. Even the drip slowed and faded. Drip.

The lower half of the copper pipe naturally fell away a couple inches as I had made room for that a few feet below, and I was left with a pipe screwed to a connector that I needed to unscrew and rethread, which I did using some pipe-goo-stuff. I then connected the two ends of the copper tube using a coupler that I had also purchased from Menard’s and I prayed.

I went back to the basement and turned on the main water supply and I waited for the noise of a dam bursting. But nothing came. Silence. I waited. Silence. I went back upstairs to see my work, and I could see that there was no water leaking from anywhere. I turned the water on and off several times on the faucet, and everything held.

 

All it took was a little self-motivating and about $20 more to finish this first vital step. I officially did something worth a shit, and I felt really good about it. I want to do more stuff, so I need some more stuff to break. I’m positive it will all happen in good time. I do want to re-pipe the whole house with Pex which looks pretty easy, and I have a neighbor willing to help with it all. That may be the next big thing. We shall see.

This is all for this post, I just felt like writing. Time to get back out into the sun!

 

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...