Sunday, July 28, 2019

For Ever Ever?


Yesterday was tough. Amanda and I attended our fourth funeral of 2019. Every funeral is emotional, but losing my close friend suddenly was particularly shocking and after everything, I have found a new perspective on my sobriety.

I have to be brutally honest here. In the back of my mind, for years, I’ve always had the thought that maybe, just maybe, when I retire, or I get old enough that everybody who I know and cares about me is gone, I could try some controlled drinking. Maybe I could hire a bodyguard to protect others from me, and hire a driver so that I could drink the way that I want to. I could just sit by the lake (by my cabin I don’t own yet) and have a few beers or a margarita. Don’t worry, this is perfectly normal thinking for an alcoholic, what probably isn’t normal is admitting it, and openly writing about it. But I have to do this to help me process this new found need for permanent sobriety.

Having and end in mind for sobriety, or even thinking I could handle a controlled drinking life, is the end to many an alcoholic. It’s how my friend started his relapse that lead to his demise, and even in the Big Book, it speaks heavily on what a waste the idea of controlled drinking is.

My longtime readers will know that when I relapsed sometime in 2006, I started with one beer in a classy Italian restaurant with my girlfriend at the time. The next night I sat at a bar alone and finished a liter of Jack Daniels and blacked out sometime after I laid down a vomit-trail to my house. When I woke up in my piss-soaked clothes the next day with the worst hangover I ever had, I promised myself I would never drink again. And I didn’t. For three days.

Three weeks after I started drinking, I started doing meth, and then it was the year 2015 and I had nothing to show for my life. I was dying very slowly, and fortunately, I was hit by a fast-moving trolley car called prison and I was able to turn it around. But this doesn’t mean I’m safe. None of us is ever safe.

That last line was in the original draft of the eulogy I wrote for my friend. I thought it was too ominous, and I wanted to stay as positive as I could for the moment. When I delivered the eulogy, my eyes welled constantly and I kept thinking that somebody would be doing this for me if I ever have one drink. One sip. If I ever stop going to meetings or talking with my sober network, if I ever stop giving back, calling my sponsor, listening to the newcomer, speaking in front of groups, I will die. Now that’s ominous.

The day that I found out my friend died, I received a letter in the mail stating I had finally been approved to bring meetings into the McLeod County jail. Service work is where I thrive, and I’ve always wanted to bring meetings to people in custody.

 (Just now, the four-year-old came to me on the couch crying because she wanted to give me a hug and a kiss. I obliged but she snuck the kiss in before I realized she had a large trail of snot streaming from her nose and when she touched my face I quickly pulled away and we sort of reverse Lady and the Tramped it and she laughed, I gagged. This is my life now.)

When I was in St. Cloud state prison, we were able to leave our cells very little. You could go to church, school, meals, occasional recreation, and meetings. In the beginning, I went to church and meetings because those were the only places in the building with air conditioning. I stopped going to church because it just wasn’t for me, but I kept going to meetings. I kept listening, and eventually I started sharing some of my story, and people listened to me. And then I started going because it made me feel better. Every time I left a meeting, I was happy. And to this day that remains true, and it’s why I kept going to meetings after I wasn’t forced to do so when I got out.

Bringing meetings into a locked facility will give me the chance to give somebody else that opportunity. I’m only bringing the meeting, they still have to show up, but it will be there for them.

 Too many people are dying from addiction. It’s never hit this close to home, but I know it has for so many others I know. When does it stop?

Today I choose to think of my life without chemicals forever, and it doesn’t sound impossible or boring. My sobriety can define who I am, and it can help others, and it makes me tolerable. I will picture myself by the lake by my cabin (that I don’t own yet) surrounded by grandkids and family, with a clear mind, a clear conscience, and a loving heart. I don’t have to drink. Ever. I just have to put in a little work to make sure I don’t. So I will.

 

 

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...