Tuesday, August 28, 2018

At 3am


Writing is part of my life now. Every time I say I’m going to stay away, I’m back before two weeks has passed. Maybe it has become another addiction for me like Facebook or crack. Maybe I need help, but probably not. I’m not giving up my paycheck to write a post, or stealing from you so I can open up a Word doc. Or am I?

I’ve been up since 3am. There were so many things that kept me from getting a good night’s sleep that I almost don’t have enough room to write about them all. First: my legs. For me, R.L.S. is all inclusive. By that I mean it not only distresses my legs, but my arms. Right about the time I fall asleep, my knees and elbows become spring-loaded and I am shocked awake by my own vicious movements. The sensation that causes the involuntary movements while sleeping continues while I’m awake only now I can control my limbs and I try to hyperextend them and shake them at the same time but Mirapex is the only real solution for me so I just take another pill and then it was midnight.

At precisely 3am there is a strident distress signal coming from the bedroom down the hall. It’s fire, carbon-monoxide, or a three-year-old waking up from a bad dream. It’s the latter-most of those and I can hear it stomping toward our room which means there will be no more sleep for the weary.

The other kid has a stomach ache now and needs to sleep closer to the toilet just in case stuff starts to flow freely from either end. It’s 3:15am. For the next hour we play musical beds (and couches) with the only song being the caterwauling of a frightened three-year-old and the grumpy groans of a tired 39-year-old.

The last time I see is 4:09. I know when I have to be up for work, but somehow I clear my mind and get in a few minutes of sleep before my alarm goes off at 4:20am. I swipe the alarm off and verbally accost my phone. I’ve gotten roughly six hours of sleep since I went to the bedroom sometime before 8pm, but I feel exhausted because I had to get up so many times.

Thirteen hours later I feel fine. Perhaps I could use a nap, but that will never happen. It’s 4:12 pm and as soon as I write the last words of this post, Willie and I will walk down a few blocks to pick up the girls and the accountability supervenes. There is no longer time to be tired in my life. There is only time to be an adult.

I am the most productive I have been at any point in my life and I feel as if I have more duty than I’ve ever been charged with, and I think I’m handling it well. I wish I had more money and more free time, but I do not. I have what I have because I wanted it and earned it, and now I must maintain it and keep it.

The people that prevent me from getting more sleep are the same people that make me happy. There’s plenty of time to sleep when I’m retired. There are only so many years that these kids will be kids, and I must be in the moment, with a clear mind—sober. I have to be present for all of these little moments that make up life. I want to remember now as the good old days when I look back and wonder how time has flown by and I’m using a walker and pooping in a diaper and Amanda has to clean it up. That’s right, Amanda. You’ll be cleaning up my poops someday, too.

That is all.

 

 

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...