Thursday, September 29, 2016

Bourbon Brained



It’s Thursday morning and I don’t work today. So, I’m sitting at Nina’s Coffee Café and for about ten minutes, I’ve been staring at a blank screen. More than a few times I’ve wondered if I’ve written every terrible story, every frightening twist, and each minute detail. I don’t believe that I have, but some things are better left unsaid, and my memory is not capable of remembering blackout moments along with other periods of drugged stupor. So, where does that leave us? In very capable hands, that’s where. There is a lot going on in my life, and you can live vicariously through me, through these posts. You are lucky to not have to experience most of these things yourself; you should be thanking me. Better yet, you should be paying me!

On my first day on the job, one of my tasks was to make a bourbon brine and a glaze for a pork roast that would eventually feed about 100 people. So, my first question was, “Where’s the bourbon?” And just like that, the chef handed me a bottle of whiskey. There’s nothing in the world I’ve ever come across that feels like a bottle of booze in your hand; you know what you’re holding. To my dismay, the idea to hide in a closet and make a brine in my stomach did not occur, nor did any feelings of guilt or contempt come with such a potential burden. All I thought was how great it was to cook with alcohol again. Maybe I had a few cutaways of me doing hilarious things while under the influence at the workplace.

For example, when I worked at Pedal Pusher Café in Lanesboro, I had a tendency to show up drunk, like, every day. I preferred to drink in the morning, and I didn’t work until the afternoon during which I also enjoyed adult beverages. On more than one occasion, I woke up at 5pm, four hours late for work. On one very memorable occasion, I woke up with a spatula in my hand, and all of my coworkers were staring at me. I had apparently walked into work in a blackout and started flipping the burgers off of the back of the grill, on to the floor. An associate accidentally shoved me out of the way and grabbed the spatula from me and I told everybody I was then done working for the night and I retired to the local pub where I could tell everybody what a long day I had at work. The bartender laughed at me and said I had left no more than 20 minutes before, saying I needed a nap before work.

I thought of that day as I held that bottle in my hand and it disgusted me. That bottle transforms me into a monster, incapable of self-control, and very capable of harming myself and others. But I really do like cooking with alcohol. Of course, all the good stuff is almost always heated out of whatever recipe is being created, and this case was no different. So, instead of pouring the bottle down my throat, I poured equal parts into a hotel pan, and a sauce pan, and continued what I had already started forming in my head. I didn’t get to try the bourbon-maple pork loin until the next day, but I truly believe it was the best I had ever tasted. It was nice to have the time and unlimited resources to craft something so wonderful.

There will be a lot of tests, as there always are in a kitchen, but I’m well prepared. There’s a reason I didn’t want to get back into that environment right out of the joint, and I’m glad I waited. I’m far more capable of handling every situation that comes my way, every day, because of everything I’ve done for myself since my release. And as long as I keep in fit, spiritual condition, I don’t believe I’ll run into any major setbacks.

And Counting

I remember vividly waking up at 5:19am, one minute precisely before the lights would come on; the indication that it was time to stand a...